What is Lenovo AI doing in general, also the AI in gaming - does it exist?

Hello, could you tell me something about the AI in the technologies as laptops, what is it for and how it works? 

• In all honesty, I too am curious.

From what I understand its mean to be another little processor that decides the best course of action for the systems hardware given a workload. Before it was generally an algorithm ran by the CPU, having a chip dedicated to that and coupled with machine learning should make it better. Though it is hardly ever reported on. If remember correctly it sort of decides which die gets more power CPU/GPU depending on load of each.

I may need correcting as Im not 100% sure. If I am right, in all honesty its a little underwhelming, but Lenovo tout FPS increases due to it.

• Thank you! It would be great if we can see an example, in real usage, by Lenovo. 

• It's way too early days for that. We are at the moment where everyone and his mother claims to use AI, but in reality, the developers still need to experiment and then gradually adopt it more and more. Also, games takes years to develop, so at best it will take a few years to see it.

But initially, it's probably not even going to be explicitly visible, but used to generate game content.

• Depending on the model of laptop, there may well be more two, three or four AI chips, mine has the two Lenovo AI chips, NVIDIA's and AMD's own. They do seem to work okay without conflicting as far as I can tell. The Lenovo AI chipset is primarily focussed on performance for gaming and will adjust the frequencies of the CPU, GPU as well as the power available to them. AMD's seems to be more of an all-rounder to accelerate tasks and also extend battery life when possible. AMD reckon there's more to come in future too from their AI chip as it will 'learn' and adapt as it works in your laptop rather than becoming obsolete. All the AI chips should in theory be able to learn and adapt though.

From a hardware sense, AI in gaming has existed for a while just not locally on your own laptop or desktop until recently.

To me how effective these local chips are also remains to be seen as the technology is young and it just sounds like a lot of marketing guff to be honest, especially until proven to learn and adapt

From a content viewpoint in games, you have AI generated maps and characters cropping up in recent titles.

NVIDIA's is for acceleration of games via upscaling and frame generation locally on the fly. You can also now chat with your RTX GPU which won't really benefit gamers but can be useful for business or educational purposes Build a Custom LLM with Chat With RTX | NVIDIA

I do wonder how much of a gimmick it is even though this laptop way outperforms my old Legion 7 gen6 and also beats it hands down for battery life. By that I mean, how can it compare to a data center with dedicated hardware assigned to AI tasks when they have way more power but are already struggling to meet demand? A single laptop cannot really compete on the same level but if it can provide a faster response than waiting for data to be sent, queued and returned to the laptop when completed I guess it's a small win.

• Thank you for the answer.

• I'm just guessing here, but I'm just guessing the AI in gaming specifically is Legion-software controlled that allows the laptop hardware to eather increase or decrease power consumption depending on the specific game requirements in question. The end result being eather a performance increase or performance decrease.while gaming. 

• Legion AI Engine is an actual chipset in 8th generation laptops onwards so now it's hardware controlled

Up to 7th generation they use solely software based AI (which you select and use when in Auto/Balanced Mode via the same tick box the new AI chipset uses)

That software AI provision downloads an algorithm from Lenovo's servers which gets updated along with Vantage via Microsoft Store. That essentially has pre-defined profiles like you see in NVIDIA Geforce Experience based on performance metrics in games sent back to Lenovo from end user laptops anonymously. When the Legion laptop detects a game it has a profile for it adjusts settings accordingly.

That is how it's worked up to 7th generation laptops, 8th generation onwards can still use those server side profiles but they have the local Legion AI Engine chips to improve on them further or figure out what is best for newer games Lenovo doesn't have profiles for yet itself.

• I have a Lenovo laptop with 8th generation Intel cpu. I don't see in Lenovo Vantage something about AI. The laptop is with integrated GPU, so maybe i can not take advantage ot this algorithm? 

• That's not new enough to have AI, the 8th generation I am referring to is the laptop itself and not the processor. To clarify 8th generation Legion laptops have 13th generation Intel CPU or Ryzen 7000

• You know it would be good to see it learn that opening a web browser doesnt need a 35w spike lol

Im using a Gen 6 L5 atm, have silent set to 1ghz max for browsing and YT, does everything fine. Flip it to Balanced and it just blows it's wattage on everything it can matterless to whether it actually needs it.

IMO, this is where the AI could pose to be most useful. A machine actually learning how much power it needs to use for a given task instead of going hog wild at nothing.