What is Lenovo AI doing in general, also the AI in gaming - does it exist?

Hello, could you tell me something about the AI in the technologies as laptops, what is it for and how it works? 

Parents
  • Depending on the model of laptop, there may well be more two, three or four AI chips, mine has the two Lenovo AI chips, NVIDIA's and AMD's own. They do seem to work okay without conflicting as far as I can tell. The Lenovo AI chipset is primarily focussed on performance for gaming and will adjust the frequencies of the CPU, GPU as well as the power available to them. AMD's seems to be more of an all-rounder to accelerate tasks and also extend battery life when possible. AMD reckon there's more to come in future too from their AI chip as it will 'learn' and adapt as it works in your laptop rather than becoming obsolete. All the AI chips should in theory be able to learn and adapt though.

From a hardware sense, AI in gaming has existed for a while just not locally on your own laptop or desktop until recently.

To me how effective these local chips are also remains to be seen as the technology is young and it just sounds like a lot of marketing guff to be honest, especially until proven to learn and adapt

From a content viewpoint in games, you have AI generated maps and characters cropping up in recent titles.

NVIDIA's is for acceleration of games via upscaling and frame generation locally on the fly. You can also now chat with your RTX GPU which won't really benefit gamers but can be useful for business or educational purposes Build a Custom LLM with Chat With RTX | NVIDIA

I do wonder how much of a gimmick it is even though this laptop way outperforms my old Legion 7 gen6 and also beats it hands down for battery life. By that I mean, how can it compare to a data center with dedicated hardware assigned to AI tasks when they have way more power but are already struggling to meet demand? A single laptop cannot really compete on the same level but if it can provide a faster response than waiting for data to be sent, queued and returned to the laptop when completed I guess it's a small win.

• Depending on the model of laptop, there may well be more two, three or four AI chips, mine has the two Lenovo AI chips, NVIDIA's and AMD's own. They do seem to work okay without conflicting as far as I can tell. The Lenovo AI chipset is primarily focussed on performance for gaming and will adjust the frequencies of the CPU, GPU as well as the power available to them. AMD's seems to be more of an all-rounder to accelerate tasks and also extend battery life when possible. AMD reckon there's more to come in future too from their AI chip as it will 'learn' and adapt as it works in your laptop rather than becoming obsolete. All the AI chips should in theory be able to learn and adapt though.

From a hardware sense, AI in gaming has existed for a while just not locally on your own laptop or desktop until recently.

To me how effective these local chips are also remains to be seen as the technology is young and it just sounds like a lot of marketing guff to be honest, especially until proven to learn and adapt

From a content viewpoint in games, you have AI generated maps and characters cropping up in recent titles.

NVIDIA's is for acceleration of games via upscaling and frame generation locally on the fly. You can also now chat with your RTX GPU which won't really benefit gamers but can be useful for business or educational purposes Build a Custom LLM with Chat With RTX | NVIDIA

I do wonder how much of a gimmick it is even though this laptop way outperforms my old Legion 7 gen6 and also beats it hands down for battery life. By that I mean, how can it compare to a data center with dedicated hardware assigned to AI tasks when they have way more power but are already struggling to meet demand? A single laptop cannot really compete on the same level but if it can provide a faster response than waiting for data to be sent, queued and returned to the laptop when completed I guess it's a small win.

Children
  • Thank you for the answer.