Make the most of Super Resolution in MS Edge with NVIDIA RTX GPU

Microsoft Edge has built-in AI upscaling for streamed video content which has been there a while but in the last major update got some mode options added.

- Super Resolution (AI Based and may not appear as an option on older machines)

- Other Enhancement is for older GPU like the GTX series

- Graphics Driver Enhancement* (Utilises RTX cores on NVIDIA GPU)

*Graphics driver enhancement will make a laptop run hotter and will also not work on battery power

The HD symbol appears in the browser address bar as shown below when the feature is available.

Click on settings and you can change the mode used. Super Resolution AI is okay but I've noticed some visual noise in lower resolution video upscaling with that method. Graphics driver enhancement gives the much better results

The resolution maximum tells the browser what the highest resolution of video you want upscaling is, not the resulting output after upscaling

If you use Driver enhancement, you also have to enable it in the graphics card driver options. For NVIDIA, it's in the NVIDIA Control Panel under "Adjust video image settings". Check the Box to turn on RTX video enhancement and then hit the Apply button. If you have HDR enabled for your display in Windows settings, you can also activate that option. It's greyed out if HDR isn't enabled/supported.

Once you have done all this, streams on Twitch or anywhere else should look much better

NOTE - There is a way to get AMD hardware to do similar but it's way more complex as you have to mess with hidden browser settings.

The instructions are on this AMD Community blog page: AMD Video Upscale, Streaming Enhancements, and Mor... - AMD Community

• I did not know this. Going to give this a try! Wonder if this is why I've seen a lot of people saying MS Edge is using about 55% of their memory 

• Not unless they have a ton of tabs open, this is one tab watching the Legion Twitch stream that Ottr is doing at the moment

• Thanks for sharing this! I had no idea about it.
    I barely use Edge to be honest but will gladly give this a try

• Thank you for the information, I was completely unaware of this option. It seems like any RTX could move it, and AMD RX5700 or newer models also are compatible with this but the videos you upscale should be under 720p resolution and have dimensions greater than 192 pixels in height and width. Should try it.

• That information about compatible cards and the video having to be 720p or under is from last year and things have moved on now. It depends entirely what your hardware can handle, the maximum setting available for the source video is 1080p in the options. Ottr was broadcasting last night at that resolution and it made a noticeable difference on my laptop's 16" panel which is 3200x2000. I have been trying out since the weekend on various platforms and got similar results. Capping it to 720p videos makes sense if you notice the PC struggling to upscale 1080p videos

• I just tried it on my RX 7900 XTX using the AMD instructions from that blog page, even on that card the GPU load went up to 55% and power draw for the system peaked at 400W according to the UPS but that includes the monitor and peripherals. For my mind that is too much and NVIDIA decoding is way more efficient. I'm sure AMD will optimise their drivers eventually for this but at present it's not good enough to recommend using on an AMD GPU just yet

• Is a pity, thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm sure is something that will keep improving over time, is such a great use of the GPU for real time video enhancement

• Very interesting. Will try this

• oh, great, thanks!

• Great write up AntiKytherA. good to see some more implementation. Worth checking out. Wonder if it also lowers the processing burden/ bandwidth on higher resolutions with upscaling vs native.