Tips that can minimalize desync in games and improve your gaming experience

When players commenting about desync in games (opponents see you and shoot at you before you can see them) usually tips are to use TCP optimizer. Most games use UDP protocol so improving TCP can only make things worse and if there is improvement its short term placebo. Quality of internet connection is most important because if you have poor ADSL/VDSL connection with a lot of buffering on DSLAM side there is nothing you can do about it, you are doomed. If your internet connection is good fiber/cable fast speed non buffered and you still have desync problems here are few things you can try to do:

1. Make sure you play on low ping servers all the time (on high ping servers you will experience desync no matter how good is your internet connection)
2. Change Receive and Transmit buffers in your network adapter settings until you really feel that you have less desync. Intel NIC still are best for gaming so avoid motherboards with Realtek NIC
3. Use XMP profile to boost your memory speed  also 1:1:1:2 memory ratio work best for gaming and help to minimalize desync so when you are buying new memory look for kits with such ratio.
4. If you have open WRT router make sure you prioritize UDP traffic
5. Many fast paced FPS games use prediction for your interactions/position if server not receiving your packets in real time so make sure there is no buffer bloat on your side caused by torrents/ high bandwidth traffic in the background while you are playing. When game predict your position it can render your player model to be visible to your enemy even you on your screen are in the cover at that moment.
6. Some players claim that poor grounding of PC can be also cause of desync in games, my powerline is well grounded so i would not know but its worth to check though

happy gaming and see you on the battlefield soldiers :)

• That's a reasonable list of points, to add to them:

You can always add a PCIe Intel NIC and disable the onboard NIC if need be but Realtek PCIe Ethernet NIC are actually quite good in current generation boards, I've not had any issues with desync or bad ping with them in my various boards. How good any Ethernet NIC operates does also depend a lot on the router they are communicating with and the quality of the cabling and whether it's actually suitable for the distance from the router or not. You can have the best NIC in the world and not get the benefit if there's an issue with your cabling or router regardless of how decent your subscribed internet package is meant to be.

You can get an engineer from the Internet Service Provider to come and check the equipment they supplied you with and the connection from it to the local exchange if your broadband or fibre connection is not working at the minimum speed you were guaranteed to get. If they find an issue in your house that is not related to their equipment you will get charged for the visit, otherwise if the problem is caused by their equipment they will rectify it free of charge (including any replacement router and main socket filter boxes etc. required)

I would also suggest NOT using Wireless for gaming if you can avoid it because of interference from other devices and signal drop off because of distance and how many and thick the walls/floors are between you and the router are, but if you really have no other option set up a wifi mesh to boost the signal around your home to negate weak signal areas.

Again with Wireless adapters, if the one that came with your laptop or desktop is sub-par you can usually replace that too but double check on compatibility as it depends on the CPU you have what keying the WLAN adaptor needs in laptops (Intel utilise a proprietary M.2: CNVio2 interface specifically for Intel based laptops which won't work with AMD laptops and the best option for the AMD Ryzen 7000 chips is the AMD/MediaTek RZ616*)

*It's the ONLY option listed as compatible by a lot of OEMs for their laptop replacement parts or custom build lists and actually built in to some AMD 600 series desktop motherboards

• Very helpful tips - thanks for that! Sad that, at the end of the day, it is usually just the quality of the internet connection that matters most, but hopefully that won't be as much of an issue as quicker connections become the norm worldwide.

• Yeah, I had seen that the wifi cards were a bit awkward in some machines.

A little unfair if the intel card is better yet unique interface means you can't use it on the AMD machines.

• I would also suggest MSI Afterburner.

Learning how to tuning your GPU can give you better results not just overclocking, but adjusting clocks and voltages so you dont get massive dips when you hit the power limit and lose 400mhz from your GPU clocks because it cause cant sustain the clocks underload at the voltage it will ask for since it hits the wattage cap.

• Intel have two versions of their cards, standard M.2 that works with any brand and the M.2: CNVio2. Usually the card models ending in 1 are Intel specific and 0 are for use on any machine