A thought on upgrade paths.

I am a bit of a tinkerer when it comes to tech. Seems given the chance I can't help but have a poke around in side things, see if I can make something cooler... faster... or maybe even look better. This is where an interesting situation arises.

A while back I was going to upgrade the screen on a Gen 6 Legion 5, from the 72% SRGB FHD screen to the 100% QHD screen. Only it came a little awkwardly to a halt as there were limited vendors for the screen and someone who tried it before me found that the vendor would send whatever screen they though matched rather than the one ordered.

Why is this an issue? There are pin pitches, a few other bits and pieces, but also how much voltage the mobo will deliver to the screen safely and Lenovo's own inbuilt list of accepted hardware. Not all of this is public knowledge and can make things a little hard to do safely. It is not unheard of for a screen replacement to fry a motherboard over voltage discrepancies. 

So what am I shooting for here? I can't help but notice not all laptops even in the same series carry the same screens. Like some of the Slim models carry 3k screens, the 14in carries an OLED screen and the 9i pro carries a 3k MiniLED screen. Depending on screen types and bezels on the laptop you want to swap it too depends on if that's even possible. For example I was really curious if that MiniLED panel is compatible with the 7i. I can see that screen is a ludicrous amount of money, likely double it's actual value to buy as a part. But you guys gatekeep details and compatible lists, I genuinely think that some of these screens would be great options on other laptops of yours.

I am going to be really blunt about his.
14in OLED, great, but any more enthusiastic gamer will not want a 14in laptop, limited power and available SKUs means it's an expensive entry level. Why is there no 16in option for the Pro 5, 7 and 9 options?
MiniLED panel, for the "flagship" only? Really? The 7 series WAS your flagship. In all honesty it still is. Legion 9i gen 9 has nothing over the LP7 other than that screen, a carbon lid, metal deck and a gimmick of a watercooling thing with an inverted motherboard.
Maybe, you binned GPUs, not sure if you have a higher crossload limit or not, but the fact remains... Pretty sure my LP7i matches the LP9i and has better VRAM temps due to aftermarket thermal pads. Dunking on the LP9i aside... I have no option for the MiniLED screen and cannot really find out if is compatible.

It would be pretty sweet if you gave more options for your chassis, or even if that's not a built in option, if better screens will fit and work in other chassis.... make that information available. Offer that service... something.
I know of a few enthusiasts that tried using other MiniLED panels in the 3080 models but couldn't get one to fit. Heck some even now are curious about shoe horning the new screen in the new LP7 chassis. You're missing a trick for the sake of trying to make a more premium tier if you like. With screens, I genuinely think offering budget screens as well as better screens when ordering direct from you makes sense. That way even if someone only wants to upgrade down the line that option is there.

Parents
  • I'd consider this on an older laptop that's out of warranty and came with a really bad screen with low viewing angles, colour gamut and refresh rate or if the screen died anyway. The problem like you said comes with finding a reputable vendor who won't bait and switch the panel on you but fortunately in the UK there are some decent ones that I have on occasion delt with when repairing other people's laptops and one of my own when the backlight failed on it.

Another thing you could consider is a swap for the 16:10 from a Legion 7 6th gen but you would also need the bezel kit with a form factor change. The board as far as I'm aware is identical (at least they share common BIOS) but you would have to check the exact pin out details for the panels and see if they are indeed a match. The voltage should be fine though if they are.

• I know for most people this is too much effort, but my thinking is also that of accidental damage and stuff too.

Changing an old screen for a better one is one thing, but say you got a lesser screen when you bought the laptop, 12month later you drop something on the lid and bust the screen. It would be nice to know that you could maybe upgrade to a better screen, even if as cost, if it fits. Since newer laptops are all 16:10 I'd hazard a guess the MiniLED screen from Lenovo might fit. Just unsure if the voltages are safe.

The other reason would be some models only get 100% SRGB screens, having the option for a decent 100%DCI screen would be nice. That choice in screen has swayed some people.

• I know for most people this is too much effort, but my thinking is also that of accidental damage and stuff too.

Changing an old screen for a better one is one thing, but say you got a lesser screen when you bought the laptop, 12month later you drop something on the lid and bust the screen. It would be nice to know that you could maybe upgrade to a better screen, even if as cost, if it fits. Since newer laptops are all 16:10 I'd hazard a guess the MiniLED screen from Lenovo might fit. Just unsure if the voltages are safe.

The other reason would be some models only get 100% SRGB screens, having the option for a decent 100%DCI screen would be nice. That choice in screen has swayed some people.

Children
No Data