Do you tune your rig or laptop?

This is a pretty cool topic in my opinion as I have spent a fair bit of time chatting to people like myself who don't just leave things alone when they buy them.

A few examples of my recent experiences.

The Legion Pro 7. I managed a stable CO of -22 on the 7945HX, coupled with conductonaut extreme I saw CB23 score of 37/38k at 155w 5.4ghz all core. Stock was about 4.9 or 5ghz I believe with a score of 35/36k. I also tuned to RAM to 5200mhz CL34 and got a nice latency drop in AIDA.

Alas most of you are aware of my drama with the machine failing and several bad attempts at fixes.

My current is the Gen 9 Legion Pro 7i.

The 14900HX has had the peak clock dropped to 5.4ghz as games rarely ever use the 5.8ghz top end. All core is 5.2ghz on the P cores and 3.9ghz E cores. Core UV of -162mv. Cache ratio dropped to 42 with both caches UV -80mv. Manages 36k in CB23 up from 32k. This is tuned for usable power not benchmarking records. Still at 185w though.

Liquid metal was swapped for conductonaut extreme and all thermal pads are now Iceberg Driftice. PTM7958SP was applied to the GPU. All temps are now lower than stock and performance is up too. RAM has gone from 5600mhz CL46 to 6400mhz CL38. Again nice bump in bandwidth and drop in latency. 

Gaming is a breeze and the low are much more stable now for a smoother experience. Considering the CPU isn't as efficient at the AMD, the 4090 has been undervolted too get about 2300mhz at 850mv. Small bump in memory clock speed at +500. Either way, means the CPU can pull nore than the stated 85w crossload if the GPU is pulling more.

I'm not a benchmark scores buff, but I do use them to see if my tuning is effective. I always rework for lower temps and tune for better performance at lower voltages given the chance.

Anyone else like making the most of the stuff they have, or just plug and play?

• I mostly stick to standard OC profiles and settings. In the past I used to try overclocking but its a time sink fine tuning. 

• Offline in reply to AR

It most certainly can be. I know there is more in the RAM, but I really cant be bothered chasing the limits then stability testing for days. Especially when you can corrupt the OS if certain settings dont take.

• I undervolt my GPU to keep it much more quiet and cool. Other than that there is not that much more to gain relatively to the time spent tuning.

• I do beg to differ.

Undervolting CPUs not only gives more performance, but less volts slows degradation of the silicon too.

Upgrading TIMs keeps things cooler, again helps things boost longer/higher without throttling and helps with degradation slowing too.

RAM tuning helps with the lows in games and responsiveness of the system. Agreed it can be a long process, but it is not without its merits.

Adjusting clocks and wattages can also tame temps if cooling isn't great or ambients are really high too.

• Not my laptop as it's a Slim which are more focussed on mobility and battery life for combined usage rather than all out gaming, plus there's little you can do with the 7840HS. Technically the IETS GT500 is a tuning mod in that it helps a lot more with keeping the laptop boosting to max clocks than my old Targus Chill Mat did.

On my desktop PCs I used curve optimizer on the Ryzen 5800X and got -28 across all cores, the RAM uses XMP for 3600 MHz and I've also got PBO on advanced for that CPU

The 7950X3D I have used PBO and core profile X3D optimisations in the BIOS on that board along with EXPO enabled on the RAM. The system has four modules so should in theory be run at 4800 MHz for stability but I've still got it happily running at 5200 MHz. At some point I may swap them out for two 32GB modules but it's not a priority. The RX 7900XTX happily powers along in Rage mode, it is a reference AMD card so that Rage I believe is similar to other companies factory overclock anyway.

So nothing major as I prefer to keep it stable enough to game and like yourself aren't really that bothered by bench scores. The GT500 did shift them significantly in 3D Mark to the top end from Average

• Yeah the 7840HS is pretty locked, not sure if UMAF or SREP can unlock anything usable. Maybe RAM timings? The 7940HS has CO available, which is a shame the slim didn't go for that. I mean I use upgraded TIMs and a custom cooler with 3 Phanteks T30s on my laptop Smiling imp

Some nice tuning on your other beasties too. Isn't the sweet spot for EXPO on the 7000series 6000mhz with tighter timings? FCLK at about 2033mhz I think.

How are the temps on the XTX? I saw a few people brave liquid metal and thermal putty/pad upgrades to get more stability at higher clocks.

I am and am not fussed by benches, you can tune the 14900HX for higher scores in CB23, but it doesn't corrolate to every other use case. So you then lose perf. Seen a few peeps take my laptop crank the amps up and the wattage limit to 240w, tune the RAM to 6800mhz and pull 39k in CB23. But you can't use that daily. I use it as a baseline, then do the tunes so be sure I am actually improving perf meaningfully without anything detrimental.

I honestly find tuning laptops a little more rewarding than desktops. When the laptop CPU is matching a desktop at 185w instead of say 250/300w that makes for quite the portable powerhouse.

If I had another of these machines I'd even contemplate a shunt on the GPU too. I have seen peeps with shunted 4090 laptops match a 4080 desktop (since its the same chip), with proper tuning it's amazingly powerful, very little.battery drain and the PSU is overbuilt so there's no harm done either. Heck if there was a legit 200w VBIOS for the 4090 laptop, I would try it in a heartbeat and just liquid metal the GPU just to be sure.

• I usually don't do any tuning unless there's really a necessity to do something in order for the rig to work normally, like underclocking to maintain normal temperature levels. I just keep the stock settings during the first few years. Then, as the warranty expires and the performance of the rig becomes less optimal due to new hardware being released with better performance, I usually overclock it as much as the hardware allows to run without issues and then keep it as such until it dies. In my experience, doing it this way allows me to get the most out of the hardware first by preserving it and ensuring longevity. Then, I increase the performance to match new hardware, slightly bridging the gap until I buy new hardware (usually every 5-7 years depending on market trends).

• Yes, I tinker with the CPU and GPU settings until I find a satisfactory balance between performance and stability. So I undervolt and overclock them as much as I can.

• Undervolting intel and utilising core offset on AMD is IMO a must. It lowers voltage used across the curve, performance is uplifted too. Low loads and idle may see power draw drop, top end gains the perf due to people able to make use of higher clocks without hitting the power limit. All unlocked chips can benefit from it. Its a little bit of tinkering, but it's a worth while optimisation.

I do understand not being all that fussed about OC unless you need it though.

My GPU has 2 profiles, one that pushed as much frequency at the lowest voltage I can get. Which tops out at about 710mv and 1600mhz ish. Older and non demanding games get that. The other is around 2300mhz at 850mv, a nice clock with lower voltages so i have wattage wiggle room on CPU intensive games.

• I do, mostly GPU, and mainly for the noise levels.