New GPU's at the end of the year

The rumors seem pretty definitive that we'll get new Nvidia and AMD GPUs at the end of the year.

The 5090 is said to get a huge boost and perhaps even 32 GB, while the other Nvidia cards should keep the same bus sizes, which means no extra memory unless they double up the memory on the cards. They should use faster GDDR7 memory, which should give a bit of a boost. But it's very unclear how much faster the cards will be.

AMD is only making two chips that will probably go into 4 cards or so. The faster chip should be around a 7900 XT in performance, in the fastest configuration, with 16 GB VRAM. Perhaps they'll sell it for $500-$600 as the 8800 XT. There is also a much weaker 128 bit chip that should be around 6700 XT performance and will probably go into the 8600 XT with 16 GB of VRAM (doubled).

Are you guys excited about these new cards, or worried that the VRAM is probably still going to be an issue?

• I dont think at the end of the year. i would say next year

• The AMD cards are exciting.

They should be good in raster and hopefully a great increase in RT at a good pricepoint.

Nvid? They're going to drop the 5090/80 first. Rumours the 90 card will be 2k and maybe 2x performance. Either way, the extreme pricing is just greed again.

I hope Intel and AMD actually make solid cards at great prices and knock Nvid off their greedy perch.

• Considering the upcoming prices, it's difficult for me to get excited, but on the other side, I'm always interested in new cards, so I'm of course curious to see how good the new generation will perform compared to the current GPUs.

• It is time for Intel to raise their game with the upcoming Arc Xe2 Battlemage, they also announced a 3rd generation so it does look like they intend to see the GPU project through longer term.

I'm not convinced AMD will stay in the discrete GPU market much longer, they already stated that enthusiast cards are no longer a concern for them. Which begs the question how will their mainstream GPU hold up against the competition and are they now only targeting Intel GPU rather than NVIDIA as the competition? Because if so, I believe they will lose out there too before long. They would do better to focus at what they excel in, APU and console products with strong integrated GPU.

Price and power consumption rumours for the next generation GPU from NVIDIA are a concern but I take them with a pinch of salt, since there's a lot of clickbait using erroneous information generated from a slip of the tongue by Jeff Clarke from Dell who gave the over 1000W power consumption figure for an upcoming AI product for a desktop GPU.

• Im certainly going to be keeping a close eye on the 50 series. I've skipped a couple of generations of cards now to save some money but my old card is starting to show its age now so probably going to have to bite the bullet and get a 50 something just to keep up with the latest games.

• AMD has absolutely no reason to leave the market, given that they need to develop the technology anyway for AI, for consoles and for iGPUs. Why would they then not sell discrete cards?

• Nvidia wants the AI market so the consumer cards will still follow this gouged price trend as its not worth their time. Improvements are welcome but the price is not. intel needs to start challenging AMD for 2nd place to bring more competition into the duopoly. 

• I mean ish.

RDNA 3 wasn't what they had quite hoped, but they pushed back their design overhaul because they couldn't quite get it how they wanted. So this coming GPU set is a stop gap to keep money coming in since lets face it, there are not many people that actually go and buy the absolute top end GPUs. They just cost too much. Having a solid mid tier card for a good price is actually a key place in the market strategically. If RDNA 3.5 does actually deliver on the RT perf increase that is a very compelling buy for new builds and budget builds. FSR3 is getting polished, RoCm is open source, AMD are making moves to be more consumer friendly. These changes will also translate into the APU and consoles too.

Time will tell and all.

Intel are losing money with the R&D atm, so its a trying time to keep the board happy while trying to break into to GPU market. They DO seem commit as you say though. It's a pretty exciting time,  there just needs to be better pricing and less greed.

• New cards will likely be announced at CES next year, with the first batches expected to hit the market by March or April, unless we encounter a supply shock due to the enormous demand for GPUs in the AI sector. With that being said, I am excited about the 5000 series cards as the 4000 series was, in my opinion, overpriced and lackluster. We haven't had a good GPU generation that offers both performance and a proper price range. The latter will likely be an issue again, as prices are not expected to decrease anytime soon, given the demand from the AI sector.

• I am looking forward to learning more. My wallet is not.

I was not worried about the vRam until you brought it up, now I am very concerned.