Is Diablo 4 a sign of things to come?

I am not a Diablo hater, I came in at 3 and thought it was a wonderful button basher with a little strategy involved. Me and my girl have sunk more hours that I care to mention into it and played it till mentally we just couldn't tolerate it anymore.

Then comes Diablo 4. Years in the making, several BETAs, seemingly well received... but under the hood it is a massive disappointment and a money wringer.

Honestly, I’m disappointed.
If I was offered a refund for this game I would take it in a heartbeat. I feel like this title is not worth the 60 base price in the UK.

Story, on base levels it feels good, but then for most questions asked it leaves a loose end or gives no where near enough detail for the questions it made you ask. It feels rushed and uninspired

Gameplay, the scaling enemies and rubbish loot drops make no sense. You can get to the soft cap(level 50) while only being able to use WT2 with a gear max of around 45 if you’re lucky until you finish the main game. So instead of doing the side stuff in an area and actually benefiting from it in terms of gear and EXP, you’re better off blasting through the story and getting into WT3 for better gear (WT2 is max until you clear the game). Well… yeah and no. You then realise it’s just a grind to level 100 with no real reason or genuine excitement, just a grind. Then comes the loot mechs which are flawed. You need sacred stuff to drop( only sacred drops above 50), but so far I have had many legendaries 5+ levels higher than my current gear and be near 100 gear level points lower and worse in every aspect. So the sacred stuff allowing for higher level gear doesn’t actually mean that gear will scale like it should. It just have numbers on it for numbers sake. Why add so many levels at all if that’s what you’re going to do? So the grind becomes even more boring because you’re not really likely to pick up anything that makes the grind worth it.

Since the most recent update the gear stuff hasn’t changed at all, the persistent aim assist or whatever you want to call it is still a pain in the backside for attacking where ever it wants not where you want it too. EXP may have been boosted so you grind less, but the whole game literally feels like a prologue, like this was a 60quid cash grab, then sell subsequent DLCs and season passes to wring more money out of die hard players.

I binned Destiny 2 when that’s pretty much exactly what they started doing. New expansion, couple of hours game play added, a grind event for 3 months, but to get the most out of the grind event you had to shell out for a season pass as exotics and cosmetics were behind paywalls. They’ve pretty much took this and ran. It’s disgusting in my opinion. This feels like a massive waste of my time and money. I refuse to pay for anything else later on that would actually make the game worth playing and I shouldn’t have to wait 3 months for patches, add ins and fixes that make the game actually enjoyable for the average gamer when you charged a base price at 60. Although cosmetics are not a game maker, when most of the in game gear is bland yet the paid for stuff actually looks good,  you suddenly get tempted to waste money on things that should be in the game from the get go.

Basically Diablo 4 is very lacking, so much so I am pressing for a refund, I know I am not likely to get one, but paying a premium price for something that feels like only the intro, knowing anything that looks good is paid for only, paid seasons will be coming in to give you 3 month grinding windows for cosmetics and they're already working on DLC. It is just not on. It's online only, so if your internet acts up or they get DDOS'd again, you aren't playing. It feels too much like they want to squeeze as much money out of a game that isn't even worth it. The main reason this game is getting hype is because it's Diablo. Anyone that loves a mindless grind with little to no reward, this game is for you. I hope no other devs think this is acceptable.

Parents
  • I get where you're coming from, and I think that Activision/Blizzard have a lot to answer for by releasing sequels for games that they know have massive fanbases, and not necessarily making them better games. The fact that some of these implementations are business strategies that keeps the company afloat doesn't really make them ok. That's just like saying drilling for oil is the only thing that keeps our economy afloat so we can't stop doing it... Surely if enough players stand up to these practices, devs will cut them out. At least I'd hope so...

That being said, if they want to get extra money out of selling cosmetic packs, I don't think that's an issue - it's only when the paid extra content interferes with gameplay that it becomes a problem.

However, I think  put it best when he said:

it's a sign of a really weak experience which relies entirely upon psychological elements of gaming addiction and completionism rather than actual enjoyment.

It amazes me that we've gotten to four iterations of Diablo and they haven't figured out how to make the gameplay enjoyable enough that it doesn't just feel like a grind/rely on gamer psychology? Surely they have figured it out, but they just insert certain features to keep people playing, and that is definitely an industry issue at the moment.

• I get where you're coming from, and I think that Activision/Blizzard have a lot to answer for by releasing sequels for games that they know have massive fanbases, and not necessarily making them better games. The fact that some of these implementations are business strategies that keeps the company afloat doesn't really make them ok. That's just like saying drilling for oil is the only thing that keeps our economy afloat so we can't stop doing it... Surely if enough players stand up to these practices, devs will cut them out. At least I'd hope so...

That being said, if they want to get extra money out of selling cosmetic packs, I don't think that's an issue - it's only when the paid extra content interferes with gameplay that it becomes a problem.

However, I think  put it best when he said:

it's a sign of a really weak experience which relies entirely upon psychological elements of gaming addiction and completionism rather than actual enjoyment.

It amazes me that we've gotten to four iterations of Diablo and they haven't figured out how to make the gameplay enjoyable enough that it doesn't just feel like a grind/rely on gamer psychology? Surely they have figured it out, but they just insert certain features to keep people playing, and that is definitely an industry issue at the moment.

Children
No Data