This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

FRUSTRATED WITH THE STATE OF GAME DEVELOPMENT

Balders Gate 3 just opened up a massive can of worms for greedy devs.

A game that has a massive amount of content, a huge replay ability factor, NO MICROTRANS or store purchases. Oh and it is actually polished and playable at launch.

Compare that to games like Diablo 4 and Destiny 2. Lame weak content, little to actually do post game but grind, anything that might be worth having is behind a paywall. Elden Ring and BG3 came under fire from devs for "over delivering". Excuse me, so a game dev that actually values making an enjoyable game, that is consumer focused rather than a bare minimum release where you get to pay a premium for the right to be beta tester yet anything worth having in game is classed as an add on that cost you more... is "over delivering"? No, thats called being a decent Dev studio that delivers on their promise and is why they get positive as hell reviews.

FromSoftware and Lorian have proven that you can make an amazing game, for a reasonable price and it be focussed on the game and enjoyment rather than treating gamers like money making udders just to be squeezed. Yet AAA studios care more about the money than the product that they're selling. Blizz/activison are going to destroy Diablo because they're using the same crappy business model Destiny 2 is known for. It's a rancid behaviour. CDPR have polished Witcher 3 for ages and it's still a well loved game, it released great and only got better. So massive multi billion pound studios CANNOT just sit and say oh no... don't expect us to do better for the 60-100 pound asking price for our beta game, spend more money in the store over the next year and we may actually patch the issues.

A lot of readers will like just say "don't buy it day one blah blah...". Normally I wait for games to come down in price and recently wait to see how well they perform on release because of terrible dev behaviours. I shouldn't have to. If a dev makes a promise on the calibre of its game, they should be held to it. I have bought the Resident evil games day one and they are amazing. Dark Souls games, Nioh + 2 and a few others that all delivered on that promise of an amazing experience from day one. It should not be a lottery of when a game releases if it will actually be playable or not. It is another reason I respect Nintendo more that the others. They only release things that work and they're not riddled with micro transactions. A lot of studios will never see my money again while this practise is the norm.

EDIT: For clarity, I believe ALL devs guilty of chasing the bag rather than giving quality products need to do better and if they can't then they should look to make internal changes so they can. I will not alter my original post as I still stand by it.
When buying games at a premium on day one is pretty much being a BETA tester so it gets cleaned up 12months later, yet feels hollow until you buy every add on going or cosmetic pack so there's actually some content... That is not how gaming should be.
The product should be high quality with actual content for the money you pay and anything else should feel like a bonus. My examples may not fit for everyone looking but those are the immediate ones that are easy to find. Still, Buying a broken game on release should not be allowed to happen. Especially when there is no transparency in the way it is executed. 

If they are millions into profit making games, they do not need to be so greedy and then call "overheads", it's more like shareholders if they're being honest.

Parents
  •   

I have decided to remove the comment thread that occurred since the start of this post. I welcome the renewal of the discussion so long as it does not continue down the path it already has. I am also stating this publicly so that others are aware to be thoughtful with their responses.

Please be mindful when engaging in discussions that, even if one person may be wrong, it's still important to be civil. Please do not resort to personal attacks and please remember to abide by the Community Terms of Service. Thank you.

• That's quite alright.

Although I dont remember making it personal, I apologise if it came off that way.

I do find Keiadow's current pleading a childish attack on what a hell of a lot of people feel about the state of gaming right now. Yes, I was venting slightly, but I have also come a cropper to devs tactics of chasing the bag rather than making quality games and I am not buying any excuses. I also broadened the spectrum which they appear to have missed entirely.

I do not believe it is toxic or childish to expect better of companies and I am not the only one to think that. So I would appreciate the thread to stay as it is, I see no harm in showing distaste to devs of any kind exploiting gamers.

• That's quite alright.

Although I dont remember making it personal, I apologise if it came off that way.

I do find Keiadow's current pleading a childish attack on what a hell of a lot of people feel about the state of gaming right now. Yes, I was venting slightly, but I have also come a cropper to devs tactics of chasing the bag rather than making quality games and I am not buying any excuses. I also broadened the spectrum which they appear to have missed entirely.

I do not believe it is toxic or childish to expect better of companies and I am not the only one to think that. So I would appreciate the thread to stay as it is, I see no harm in showing distaste to devs of any kind exploiting gamers.

Children
  • The thing you're still missing the point on is that I have agreed with you. At no point have I denied that there are issues. All I did was offer some reasons you clearly weren't aware of and weren't considering previously as to why things are happening generally for some devs and asked you not to take it to a polarising toxic extreme, which your original post was and posts since have been. You're still acting like I'm denying it's even an issue or that I'm trying to defend all devs which I never have been.

The fact other people have agreed there are issues in the industry doesn't validate the way you went about voicing this and the tone of your post(s), everyone knows there are issues in the industry with this stuff. That validates there are problems in the industry, it does not validate your language or tone about it.

As I clearly said there is no problem with anyone having and sharing an opinion, or wanting an adult discussion. It's the way you went around and continue to go around it (evidenced from the above point that you're still continuing down) that is the problem.

If you can't see that the way you've gone about this and some of the language you've chosen to use is offensive to and polarising against people in the industry who don't even have anything to do with the problem you're talking about, or are even fighting against what you're talking about yet still come under the broad insult umbrella you've put out, then I don't know what to tell you anymore.

"So I would appreciate the thread to stay as it is, I see no harm in showing distaste to devs of any kind exploiting gamers." - is a complete contradiction in itself. You aren't showing "distaste" to devs who exploit gamers. That was what I was asking you to acknowledge and you refused to - only having a go at the devs who actually deserve it. You're just being downright rude and childish to ALL devs. That's how your post and deleted posts were originally written and caused this whole issue.

And if you don't care about the effect that what you say and how you go about saying it can have on people, then what are you even pretending to apologise for? You're apologising to Kelie S because they caught you out and told us both off, not because you actually care about any impact you've had on other people. Which is frankly a fake apology to try and save face.