What do you think of the optimization on pc lately?

Worried

Parents
  • Optimization in terms of what? Yeah, I don't think this is that helpful of a discussion, but I'm going to make the same assumption that  did and guess that you mean optimization for games to run on lower-end hardware.

I'd just say it kinda sucks for people with lower-end machines. You used to be able to buy 'budget gaming computers'. That's still true to an extent, but those PCs either aren't very budget (if you want it to actually run games well) or can't even handle the newest games (if you go for the super budget route). Plus, this may be based more on feelings than fact, but it seems to me that hardware these days very quickly becomes obsolete. I used to game on my old family computer (a Dell gaming tower) for a good six to eight years before the thing finally became a relic, whereas my newer PCs, though they are laptops, have only lasted about three before their GPUs become really outdated. So... that's my two cents on optimization.

• The longest I've had a card that could realistically play some new games is about 6 years for my Radeon HD 5870, and of course with settings at low, etc, eventually 1GB VRAM killed that card for good. Right now I'm using a 3060 ti and I don't dare to run anything released in 2023 on it, I realize it's not the same tier of product but I paid about the same for both cards (granted about a decade later), I don't really care about tiers, just prices, if I wanted the same tier I'd have to pay 4-5x as much for a 4090 as I did for a 5870, which is completely bonkers.

So yeah, pc gaming overall has become less budget friendly and more prone to planned obsolescence, sure there is inflation everywhere but this market is way worse than most, mostly driven by lack of competition unfortunately.

• The longest I've had a card that could realistically play some new games is about 6 years for my Radeon HD 5870, and of course with settings at low, etc, eventually 1GB VRAM killed that card for good. Right now I'm using a 3060 ti and I don't dare to run anything released in 2023 on it, I realize it's not the same tier of product but I paid about the same for both cards (granted about a decade later), I don't really care about tiers, just prices, if I wanted the same tier I'd have to pay 4-5x as much for a 4090 as I did for a 5870, which is completely bonkers.

So yeah, pc gaming overall has become less budget friendly and more prone to planned obsolescence, sure there is inflation everywhere but this market is way worse than most, mostly driven by lack of competition unfortunately.

Children
  • My GTX1080ti is still coping at 1440p with most games on Ultra but sometimes I do have to turn games down to High or Medium on a couple of settings depending on the rendering engine and how nvidia friendly it is. Some games these days are ported from AMD powered consoles and work better with Radeon GPU