Gaming Monitor on a Laptop, is it worth it?

I have a question that I would like to ask and I don't know if it has already been discussed in the forums. Now I have a laptop and I am considering purchasing a screen to be able to better enjoy certain games. I don't know to what extent it is worth it. I know it's better to have a gaming PC for this, but it's what I have now.

Since I know some theory but I don't know in practice which characteristics are best, I wanted to ask what you think. I don't know if anyone in the community has done it yet.

- What level of pixel density per inch is the minimum to enjoy?
- Is compatibility with AMD FreeSync and NVIDIA G-Sync so important?
- Refresh rate: there are many types of frequency, I think 140 would be enough. Is the difference noticeable at higher rates?
- What type of quality panel (OLED?)
- I have seen curved screens that look spectacular for playing driving or FPS games, real difference?

Based on that, I'm going to decide if I take a step forward or wait to have a gaming PC. Thanks!

• My friends have gaming monitors connected to their gaming laptops and use the laptop as a second screen. But there is a need to drop setting and tweak it because the laptop obviously isn't as powerful as the PC equivalent. 

They both got the same monitors, 2K 144hz VGA MSI Curved Monitors and they love them! But they have said they will need to upgrade from laptop to PC soon enough 

• A second monitor is a game changer, not just for gaming but more so for productivity (Im guessing you hae a laptop for doing more than just gaming)

In terms of your questions regarding what specs to look for it really depends on a few key factors: What sort of games you plan on playing? What are the specs of your laptop? What sort of budget are yhou planning on spending?

What games are you playing.... fast first person shooters or games with quick reactions its better to have a faster monitor, but if you play more role playing games with beautiful graphics its not quite so important. Personally I would say 120-144hz is a good  sweet spot/comprimise. Not so slow that the game looks glitchy but not so fast that your paying a premium. To go with this G-sync/freeSync is very nice to have, and in all honesty pretty much most gaming monitors have some sort of variiable refresh rate (VRR)all it does is synchronises the frame rate the game is running at on the PC with the refresh rate of the monitor. It prevents screen tearing, where you get a kind of glitch in the game play where there is part of 2 frames shown on the screen at once.

• I won a monitor from this website (thanks, Lenovo!) and it has really improved my experiences both gaming and working on my laptop. So I would definitely say yes, it's worth it. Also I wouldn't necessarily say it's better to have a gaming PC - the monitor can be used with whatever machine, whether you've got a gaming-optimized tower or a cheap tablet. If you invest in a decent monitor, it can outlast several computers.

My monitor is the Y25g-30, and I've put some of the specs here:

• Panel Size

24.5-inch

• Screen Dimensions

552.5 mm x 319.6 mm

• Panel Type

3-side NearEdgeless

In-Plane Switching

• Backlight

WLED

• Aspect ratio

16:9

• Resolution

1920 x 1080

• Dot/Pixel Per Inch (DPI/PPI)

• Refresh Rate

DP 1.4 - 360 Hz

HDMI 2.0 - 240 Hz

• Brightness

400 cd/m2

It's a great monitor - very bright with good color - but honestly I'm not even sure the refresh rate needs to be that high. It's not one of the curved monitors, so I can't say anything about that, but I have to say, those do seem pretty cool.

• An external monitor for a Laptop is great. Especially if you have to do a lot of work on your computer while you are at home. The type of monitor you should get depends on your needs. I'm using Lenovo's Y44 curved monitor on my PC which is really immersive in games, however I don't know whether smaller curved monitors convey the same feeling. 140 Hz are enough, at least I was never able to spot a difference with higher rates.

• If you are straining to see the game on the laptop screen then yes an external display will help you a lot. resolution wise, for 24-25" 1080p, 27-32" 1440p

IPS or IPS level is good, OLED may be prohibitively expensive depending on your budget for this and are also more prone to burn-in

FreeSync Premium certified monitors will also work with NVIDIA G-Sync even if not listed by NVIDIA, you can force it in the Display Mode settings of NVIDIA Control Panel.

144 or 165 Hz, these days 165 Hz are more commonplace so you may actually get a better deal on that than 144.

The curve depends on how far you are sat from the screen whether it works well or not, a smaller monitor with a tight radius you really need to be up close to benefit from

Like Steinhund I also won a monitor from here, a Lenovo G34w-30 which is curved 34" ultrawide VA panel with 3440x1440 resolution and 165Hz refresh rate. It's FreeSync Premium but I have used it with NVIDIA GPU which is why I know you can enable G-Sync on monitors that aren't listed by NVIDIA as compatible.

For driving it helps, I don't play FPS much but do like adventure/single player action shooters and it's also quite immersive for them too. The ultrawide resolution isn't supported by all games so sometimes there's a black border each side, but it's better than having them stretched and distorted.

• Monitors are great as you can choose a spec putaide of your laptops range so you have room to grow, or just a better screen in general. 

Im currently using my girls old 3060 Legion 5 while Lenovo sort out actually replacing my machine, but the screen on it is pretty poor, hook it up to my Samsung G7 and it's irrelevant. I can use the laptop screen as a HWinfo viewer.

I wasn't sure about curved to start with, but the G7 is very curved, it sits nicely in the corner of my office. Your key things really are resolution, colours and response time.

I would say QHD is the sweet spot atm. Both in cost of monitor for a good one and cost of hardware to make the most of it. 4K is great but spending 1k on a monitor is extreme and needing a desktop 4090 to make the most of it in some games is also a little extreme depending on your budget.

Colour! This often gets overlooked, I think 100% DCI-P3 is where you want to be. Couple this with HDR in games and you get beautiful, bright and vibrant scenes in games. I always appreciated 100% SRGB, but it does look a little wishy washy next to DCI-P3 screens.

Response times are also key due to input lag and the general feel of things. There's also stuff like no flicker... low blue light and making sure the screen doesn't blur or tear in fast pace settings. There are a great many monitors and specs, it all comes down to what you want, what you can feasibly run and what you can afford.

• Will have it on mind, I see that kind of monitor is not much expensive, thanks!

• Many for work, yes. Its true that I dont play much online FPS, only with friends, and I prefer more racing or ARPG, so thats a good point, I didn't have in mind so maybe no more hz are necessary.

• Thanks to everyone for the tips. The truth is that this screen model looks very nice, large, very complete, with great resolution, it is not very expensive, in short cost effective. I think I'm going to opt for this one. And if my wife allows me, I will look into purchasing a good desktop computer to get the most out of it in the future.

• It's definitely a must have for work. For gaming It's also worth it but you'll likely need to reduce the graphics settings in order to play it properly in the monitor.