Gaming Monitor on a Laptop, is it worth it?

I have a question that I would like to ask and I don't know if it has already been discussed in the forums. Now I have a laptop and I am considering purchasing a screen to be able to better enjoy certain games. I don't know to what extent it is worth it. I know it's better to have a gaming PC for this, but it's what I have now.

Since I know some theory but I don't know in practice which characteristics are best, I wanted to ask what you think. I don't know if anyone in the community has done it yet.

- What level of pixel density per inch is the minimum to enjoy?
- Is compatibility with AMD FreeSync and NVIDIA G-Sync so important?
- Refresh rate: there are many types of frequency, I think 140 would be enough. Is the difference noticeable at higher rates?
- What type of quality panel (OLED?)
- I have seen curved screens that look spectacular for playing driving or FPS games, real difference?

Based on that, I'm going to decide if I take a step forward or wait to have a gaming PC. Thanks!

Parents
  • If you are straining to see the game on the laptop screen then yes an external display will help you a lot. resolution wise, for 24-25" 1080p, 27-32" 1440p

IPS or IPS level is good, OLED may be prohibitively expensive depending on your budget for this and are also more prone to burn-in

FreeSync Premium certified monitors will also work with NVIDIA G-Sync even if not listed by NVIDIA, you can force it in the Display Mode settings of NVIDIA Control Panel.

144 or 165 Hz, these days 165 Hz are more commonplace so you may actually get a better deal on that than 144.

The curve depends on how far you are sat from the screen whether it works well or not, a smaller monitor with a tight radius you really need to be up close to benefit from

Like Steinhund I also won a monitor from here, a Lenovo G34w-30 which is curved 34" ultrawide VA panel with 3440x1440 resolution and 165Hz refresh rate. It's FreeSync Premium but I have used it with NVIDIA GPU which is why I know you can enable G-Sync on monitors that aren't listed by NVIDIA as compatible.

For driving it helps, I don't play FPS much but do like adventure/single player action shooters and it's also quite immersive for them too. The ultrawide resolution isn't supported by all games so sometimes there's a black border each side, but it's better than having them stretched and distorted.

• If you are straining to see the game on the laptop screen then yes an external display will help you a lot. resolution wise, for 24-25" 1080p, 27-32" 1440p

IPS or IPS level is good, OLED may be prohibitively expensive depending on your budget for this and are also more prone to burn-in

FreeSync Premium certified monitors will also work with NVIDIA G-Sync even if not listed by NVIDIA, you can force it in the Display Mode settings of NVIDIA Control Panel.

144 or 165 Hz, these days 165 Hz are more commonplace so you may actually get a better deal on that than 144.

The curve depends on how far you are sat from the screen whether it works well or not, a smaller monitor with a tight radius you really need to be up close to benefit from

Like Steinhund I also won a monitor from here, a Lenovo G34w-30 which is curved 34" ultrawide VA panel with 3440x1440 resolution and 165Hz refresh rate. It's FreeSync Premium but I have used it with NVIDIA GPU which is why I know you can enable G-Sync on monitors that aren't listed by NVIDIA as compatible.

For driving it helps, I don't play FPS much but do like adventure/single player action shooters and it's also quite immersive for them too. The ultrawide resolution isn't supported by all games so sometimes there's a black border each side, but it's better than having them stretched and distorted.

Children
  • Thanks to everyone for the tips. The truth is that this screen model looks very nice, large, very complete, with great resolution, it is not very expensive, in short cost effective. I think I'm going to opt for this one. And if my wife allows me, I will look into purchasing a good desktop computer to get the most out of it in the future.