Gaming Monitor on a Laptop, is it worth it?

I have a question that I would like to ask and I don't know if it has already been discussed in the forums. Now I have a laptop and I am considering purchasing a screen to be able to better enjoy certain games. I don't know to what extent it is worth it. I know it's better to have a gaming PC for this, but it's what I have now.

Since I know some theory but I don't know in practice which characteristics are best, I wanted to ask what you think. I don't know if anyone in the community has done it yet.

- What level of pixel density per inch is the minimum to enjoy?
- Is compatibility with AMD FreeSync and NVIDIA G-Sync so important?
- Refresh rate: there are many types of frequency, I think 140 would be enough. Is the difference noticeable at higher rates?
- What type of quality panel (OLED?)
- I have seen curved screens that look spectacular for playing driving or FPS games, real difference?

Based on that, I'm going to decide if I take a step forward or wait to have a gaming PC. Thanks!

Parents
  • A second monitor is a game changer, not just for gaming but more so for productivity (Im guessing you hae a laptop for doing more than just gaming)

In terms of your questions regarding what specs to look for it really depends on a few key factors: What sort of games you plan on playing? What are the specs of your laptop? What sort of budget are yhou planning on spending?

What games are you playing.... fast first person shooters or games with quick reactions its better to have a faster monitor, but if you play more role playing games with beautiful graphics its not quite so important. Personally I would say 120-144hz is a good  sweet spot/comprimise. Not so slow that the game looks glitchy but not so fast that your paying a premium. To go with this G-sync/freeSync is very nice to have, and in all honesty pretty much most gaming monitors have some sort of variiable refresh rate (VRR)all it does is synchronises the frame rate the game is running at on the PC with the refresh rate of the monitor. It prevents screen tearing, where you get a kind of glitch in the game play where there is part of 2 frames shown on the screen at once.

• Many for work, yes. Its true that I dont play much online FPS, only with friends, and I prefer more racing or ARPG, so thats a good point, I didn't have in mind so maybe no more hz are necessary.

• Many for work, yes. Its true that I dont play much online FPS, only with friends, and I prefer more racing or ARPG, so thats a good point, I didn't have in mind so maybe no more hz are necessary.

Children
No Data