Are green screens obsolete now?

I was thinking of getting a green screen to use for video calls or maybe even for streaming, but not sure if there are still any benefits in using a green screen over just using an AI background removal extension.

Do you think it's still worth investing in a green screen with all the latest advancements in AI background removal software?

• I think it depends on how much you care about a) finer details like the edge of your hair and b) hiding what is behind you. Green screens are still better for detail stuff (and since you could use AI with them, they probably will be for a long time) and they also hide whatever is behind you if things go wrong. 

I don't care about that on my video calls, but depending on your job I can see why someone might.

• I use a green screen personally. I don't like the idea of a software failing and showing my background so i rather know if the anything to happen at least my background is still covered by my green screen. I think it worth the money but if you don't have the space than I understand wanting to use a software.

• Actually blocking your background from the camera is one big benefit of using a green screen that I can think of. There are plenty of viral videos where something unintentional was seen in the background or someone else in the household walked into frame not knowing the other person was in a video call.

• If it was obsolete, I don't think major studios would use it anymore. For a zoomer, nice but not necessary. Amateur filmmaker or youtuber, maybe worth the investment. I doubt it costs very much for a fabric sheet or bucket of paint for a wall or even just a poster. I think it's cheaper and easier, at least for the computer to figure it out. You may make it back depending on the use.

• Agreed, I do think that AI screening will only get better though. At some point it's probably going to be very hard to tell the difference between a physical greenscreen and digital processing.

• Most modern day "green screening" technology allows for some degree of error and actually implements a lot of AI/ML methods to do this. By extension, you don't really need to get a green-colored screen. You just need a relatively uniform colored background of any color (as long as it's different than the subject). 

In hollywood, studios use other colors too, some closer in color to the subjects. For example in Dune they used a beige colored screen since they wanted realistic colored reflections on the characters (in the desert). 

• I believe physical will always come out on top even if there's still some minor computing in the back end to get it working. Think of ethernet or aux cables versus Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Sure, those technologies came a long way and evolved to be near perfect, but ultimately will always have their flaws as they are not "direct" if that makes sense. I consider it similarly in this case: I'd much rather have a green screen and key it out than mess with an imperfect blur that wobbles around me like I'm in a foggy sauna lol or have a weird outline from the things behind me. To each their own and I always recommend the free and easier access solutions first, and if people make it work for them or don't mind its imperfections, then power to them. That's all that matters at the end of the day.