What is your single favorite "scary" game of all time, and why?

EDIT: Keys are closed for today! Stay tuned later this week for more.
You're still able to participate in the discussion of course Slight smile

What single "scary" game is your favorite you've ever played, and why?

Let me know in the comments below, and I'll DM some keys for Midnight Ghost Hunt to thoughtful members' replies! (All done for today!)

Notes:
- Please use at least 200 characters in your reply
- This doesn't have to just be "horror" games, it can be any game with scary elements!
- We've wrapped up keys for the day. There may be more pop-up discussions w/ key giveaways later this week, so be on the lookout! Jack o lantern

Parents
  • SOMA. Hands down, the best experience.

Let me explain:

Deep sea, underwater, apocalyptic event. You are one of the last survivors of the human race. Slowly you learn about what's happened to the earth and your mission is to preserve what life is left. Along the way, you discover horrifying truths about what has happened to the people around you, and the nature of your own existence. You are repeatedly forced into, not the mundane "escape the monster" scenarios, but gut-wrenching psychological decisions. To go into detail on this would spoil the entire magic of the game, but to describe it in vague terms, it will make you question the definition of existence and force you to make decisions on whether to terminate life or not - including your own.

SOMA's magic lies in what it leaves you with after you finish the game - existential dread - and the questions it poses are not easily answered. It's a game that I will never forget because it's an ending that will stay with you for years to come.

I'm looking forward to "Alone in the Dark", a complete reboot for the franchise and SOMA's writer is behind it.

Thanks for doing this by the way! A nice community activity instead of first come first serve gleams, I like it.

• SOMA. Hands down, the best experience.

Let me explain:

Deep sea, underwater, apocalyptic event. You are one of the last survivors of the human race. Slowly you learn about what's happened to the earth and your mission is to preserve what life is left. Along the way, you discover horrifying truths about what has happened to the people around you, and the nature of your own existence. You are repeatedly forced into, not the mundane "escape the monster" scenarios, but gut-wrenching psychological decisions. To go into detail on this would spoil the entire magic of the game, but to describe it in vague terms, it will make you question the definition of existence and force you to make decisions on whether to terminate life or not - including your own.

SOMA's magic lies in what it leaves you with after you finish the game - existential dread - and the questions it poses are not easily answered. It's a game that I will never forget because it's an ending that will stay with you for years to come.

I'm looking forward to "Alone in the Dark", a complete reboot for the franchise and SOMA's writer is behind it.

Thanks for doing this by the way! A nice community activity instead of first come first serve gleams, I like it.

Children
  • SOMA is a GREAT reply, surprised that you're the first to post about it! Awesome write-up Slight smile