Unusually High Number of Entries (+16,312.7%) in the Final Hours — March 2023 Giveaway — Legion 7 Slim

I took screenshots to record my entries.  By doing that, I also captured the total entries for the giveaway.  Over 7 days, the average hourly entries were +46.58.

But, over the final 15 hoursthe average hourly entries jumped to +7,644.35a +16,312.7% increase (164×"Normal").

Can anyone explain this, please?

Here are my data and calculations:

UID Date-Time Screenshot Total Entries ΔEntries ΔTime Avg Entries/Hour
1 2023-04-01 18:06:29  37,901 0 00:00:00 N/A
2 2023-04-02 05:35:37  38,617 +716 +11:29:08 +62.26
3 2023-04-03 21:27:42  40,710 +2,093 +39:52:05 +52.50
4 2023-04-05 10:43:49  42,739 +2,029 +37:16:07 +54.44
5 2023-04-06 02:18:14  43,755 +1,016 +15:34:25 +65.27
6 2023-04-07 12:47:41  45,448 +1,693 +34:29:27 +40.07
7 2023-04-08 03:55:54  46,227 +779 +15:08:13 +51.49
8 2023-04-09 13:29:43  47,989 +1,762 +33:33:49 +52.49
9 2023-04-10 04:28:35  162,824 +114,835 +14:58:52 +7,644.35
Parents
  • Hey M0rn!

I can help your concerns a bit here, bear with me Slight smile

You're right, we did see a spike in entrants in the last bit leading up to the contest close for the March sweepstakes - it looks like someone was trying to flood entries in at the last second with multiple accounts. However! Rest assured that these attempts were blocked by a few protection mechanisms:

1) Gleam automatically detects frequent entries from the same IP and disqualifies suspected spam entries as invalid:

2) I manually draw the contest winner, and thoroughly vet the winner before notifying/awarding the prize. I make sure that each entry they submitted was valid and, in the case of comments, of high enough effort. In this case, you can see that the winner  posted some great comments on dozens of content pieces in the community Slight smile

We can't completely stop people from attempting to "game the system," but we have plenty of safety levers to make sure that no one cheeses their way to win. Especially with the hardware contests!

• Hey M0rn!

I can help your concerns a bit here, bear with me Slight smile

You're right, we did see a spike in entrants in the last bit leading up to the contest close for the March sweepstakes - it looks like someone was trying to flood entries in at the last second with multiple accounts. However! Rest assured that these attempts were blocked by a few protection mechanisms:

1) Gleam automatically detects frequent entries from the same IP and disqualifies suspected spam entries as invalid:

2) I manually draw the contest winner, and thoroughly vet the winner before notifying/awarding the prize. I make sure that each entry they submitted was valid and, in the case of comments, of high enough effort. In this case, you can see that the winner  posted some great comments on dozens of content pieces in the community Slight smile

We can't completely stop people from attempting to "game the system," but we have plenty of safety levers to make sure that no one cheeses their way to win. Especially with the hardware contests!

Children
  • You wouldn't lie to me, would you?  In your reply to this discussion topic, is every statement you made factual and accurate?

I have developed transaction and reporting systems for Fortune 100 companies, since 1997.  I'm sure you can imagine my concern with a system which tallies and reports erroneous totals.

Imagine each entry is a financial instrument — like a share of stock in Lenovo.  The issued shares in the March 2023 Giveaway appear to be diluted in the final hours.

My stake went from 0.156% to 0.046% in half a day.  If I were a Wall Street investment bank, I'd drop a BRINKS truck on whomever is responsible.

Unfortunately, I'm fresh out of BRINKS trucks. Money mouth

• Thanks for the details  .  Even if it wasn't for the gleam tools, I'm happy you're on top of directly verifying the winners to ensure the contests are fair for all entrants.

Thanks to   for bringing the concern of those 'last minute' mass entries to light.

• I usually assume it's people getting in their last minute entries but glad to know that you're going through the hassle to make sure the winner is valid. We appreciate itThumbsup

• Well, that's good to know that you manually draw the winners. I do comment but on the Gleam entry I just copy/paste the address because I'm lazy. I guess I'll put in a little more effort now, lol. 

And to , I get the unwillingness to trust a company spokesperson (especially working with Fortune 100 companies for a quarter century, jeez) but I believe Ben is truthful, and anyone who has watched his streams or dealt with him at all would agree. He seems like a decent guy and not your typical corporate sleaze. He is special corporate sleaze, lol (JK Ben). But really, he does seem trustworthy, but I do only know him from the internet. However, I am trusting my gut and giving him the benefit of the doubt. I think he is being "factual and accurate" and try as much as they can to mitigate botting and people "gaming the system".

And, the friends that Derek T. has, I think they are everyone's friend who has been here long enough because they are on my friends list, and I have no idea why. I didn't think I had any friends, but I just checked and they are on my list as well (or are we all in a conspiracy? MWAHAHAHA). I assumed they would be on your list as well, but there was only Ben. IDK what's up with that. Have you only recently signed up here? I couldn't really tell from your profile, but that's the only thing I could think of why they weren't on your list as well. I comment on forum posts occasionally, when it's something interesting or thought provoking (or for a game) but I'm not a fixture around here.

Anyway, interesting post! There was a lot of good information to learn from all around.

• Thank you for this thorough and insightful reply. Its always good to know winners are vetted and there are systems in place to reduce cheating. Its also good to know my odds are a bit better than they may seem. Hopefully one day I'll win the big prize, but for now, I'm grateful for all the little game key giveaways! Thanks for your hard work Ben!

• this is interesting. good to know someone is at the wheel, checking validities. it seems like everything i do just adds entries. i have 1% chance of winning. maybe its invalid this month? i will try harder next month. though i dont want to create a lot of garbage irrelevant discussions and spam comments people will have to sort through to get to valuable information. i dont have much to add to conversations. i will try to be more beneficial to the community.

• Hey,  !

I trying to do this discreetly, which is why I am replying to an old thread.  I have just two quick questions:

1. Do you receive and read private messages?
    2. Are any users blocked? e.g.  

I have already attempted to contact you through private message.  The questions above — did not occur to me until now.

Cheers!

P.S. Before answering question 2, please confirm that your answer is correct.  Perhaps an admin "helped you out", without your knowledge.

R.S.V.P.