Unusually High Number of Entries (+16,312.7%) in the Final Hours — March 2023 Giveaway — Legion 7 Slim

I took screenshots to record my entries.  By doing that, I also captured the total entries for the giveaway.  Over 7 days, the average hourly entries were +46.58.

But, over the final 15 hoursthe average hourly entries jumped to +7,644.35a +16,312.7% increase (164×"Normal").

Can anyone explain this, please?

Here are my data and calculations:

UID Date-Time Screenshot Total Entries ΔEntries ΔTime Avg Entries/Hour
1 2023-04-01 18:06:29  37,901 0 00:00:00 N/A
2 2023-04-02 05:35:37  38,617 +716 +11:29:08 +62.26
3 2023-04-03 21:27:42  40,710 +2,093 +39:52:05 +52.50
4 2023-04-05 10:43:49  42,739 +2,029 +37:16:07 +54.44
5 2023-04-06 02:18:14  43,755 +1,016 +15:34:25 +65.27
6 2023-04-07 12:47:41  45,448 +1,693 +34:29:27 +40.07
7 2023-04-08 03:55:54  46,227 +779 +15:08:13 +51.49
8 2023-04-09 13:29:43  47,989 +1,762 +33:33:49 +52.49
9 2023-04-10 04:28:35  162,824 +114,835 +14:58:52 +7,644.35
Parents
  • Hey M0rn!

I can help your concerns a bit here, bear with me Slight smile

You're right, we did see a spike in entrants in the last bit leading up to the contest close for the March sweepstakes - it looks like someone was trying to flood entries in at the last second with multiple accounts. However! Rest assured that these attempts were blocked by a few protection mechanisms:

1) Gleam automatically detects frequent entries from the same IP and disqualifies suspected spam entries as invalid:

2) I manually draw the contest winner, and thoroughly vet the winner before notifying/awarding the prize. I make sure that each entry they submitted was valid and, in the case of comments, of high enough effort. In this case, you can see that the winner  posted some great comments on dozens of content pieces in the community Slight smile

We can't completely stop people from attempting to "game the system," but we have plenty of safety levers to make sure that no one cheeses their way to win. Especially with the hardware contests!

• Well, that's good to know that you manually draw the winners. I do comment but on the Gleam entry I just copy/paste the address because I'm lazy. I guess I'll put in a little more effort now, lol. 

And to , I get the unwillingness to trust a company spokesperson (especially working with Fortune 100 companies for a quarter century, jeez) but I believe Ben is truthful, and anyone who has watched his streams or dealt with him at all would agree. He seems like a decent guy and not your typical corporate sleaze. He is special corporate sleaze, lol (JK Ben). But really, he does seem trustworthy, but I do only know him from the internet. However, I am trusting my gut and giving him the benefit of the doubt. I think he is being "factual and accurate" and try as much as they can to mitigate botting and people "gaming the system".

And, the friends that Derek T. has, I think they are everyone's friend who has been here long enough because they are on my friends list, and I have no idea why. I didn't think I had any friends, but I just checked and they are on my list as well (or are we all in a conspiracy? MWAHAHAHA). I assumed they would be on your list as well, but there was only Ben. IDK what's up with that. Have you only recently signed up here? I couldn't really tell from your profile, but that's the only thing I could think of why they weren't on your list as well. I comment on forum posts occasionally, when it's something interesting or thought provoking (or for a game) but I'm not a fixture around here.

Anyway, interesting post! There was a lot of good information to learn from all around.

Please find my reply to Kevin T.  I think that explains my position better.  And it avoids adding redundant content to this thread.

I'm curious what you thought of the "maintenance" outage?  The one which lasted for over 12 hours — affected US, UK, and Australia — but, not EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa)?

Superficially, the only "improvement" I see: HTML-header-titles reveal the page I'm visiting — instead of just "Legion Gaming Community" — which appears in browser tabs.  At most, that's a 10-minute fix on the development server.  When its fixed in template, its fixed on every page.  But, then it must be migrated from development to production.  Assuming other, "regular" maintenance... 1–2 hours of downtime.  Not 12+ hours.

Of course, they could have completely overhauled their backend (data validation, etc.) without any (superficial) indication.  But, to do that without an explanation?  Or prior notice to users?

I wonder what really happened?  Disaster recovery?  A hack?  DDoS seems unlikely — completely different regions — although, all English-speaking.

I'm reluctant to ask BenG.  I don't really know him.  And if it was any of the events above, he's got plenty on his plate, already.

gaming.lenovo.com/US:

gaming.lenovo.com/UK:

gaming.lenovo.com/AU (Australia):

N/A (misplaced/lost capture)

gaming.lenovo.com/EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa):

Please find my reply to Kevin T.  I think that explains my position better.  And it avoids adding redundant content to this thread.

I'm curious what you thought of the "maintenance" outage?  The one which lasted for over 12 hours — affected US, UK, and Australia — but, not EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa)?

Superficially, the only "improvement" I see: HTML-header-titles reveal the page I'm visiting — instead of just "Legion Gaming Community" — which appears in browser tabs.  At most, that's a 10-minute fix on the development server.  When its fixed in template, its fixed on every page.  But, then it must be migrated from development to production.  Assuming other, "regular" maintenance... 1–2 hours of downtime.  Not 12+ hours.

Of course, they could have completely overhauled their backend (data validation, etc.) without any (superficial) indication.  But, to do that without an explanation?  Or prior notice to users?

I wonder what really happened?  Disaster recovery?  A hack?  DDoS seems unlikely — completely different regions — although, all English-speaking.

I'm reluctant to ask BenG.  I don't really know him.  And if it was any of the events above, he's got plenty on his plate, already.

gaming.lenovo.com/US:

gaming.lenovo.com/UK:

gaming.lenovo.com/AU (Australia):

N/A (misplaced/lost capture)

gaming.lenovo.com/EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa):

Children
  • I thought it was because there was a game key giveaway that got borked somehow. At least according to all the people complaining about it on the "Find Free Games" Discord channel I look at from time to time. I didn't really put much thought into it. I honestly have no clue or insights, sorry.