Can gaming and business share the same computer?

I run an accounting and tax business with my computer.  Sometimes I need a break and play games.  Can these two venues share the same computer? 

• You can, but you will most likely have to make some sacrifices when it comes to gaming unless you don't care about cost. 

• it depends on whether the computer is gonna be mainly for gaming or mainly for business I suppose. Don't think there's any real clean middle ground there.

• Well, that depends on your industry. If you are a designer, they often buy gaming laptops because they are cheaper than professional laptops with similar specs, it’s just a marketing gimmick to get biz professionals to pay more for these high end graphics intensive computers. 

• Yes why not, but it's a little wasteful to have a 4090 just to run spreadsheets on multiple monitors.

• Yes, but it's overkill for simple work needs and many employees are subject to IT restrictions.

• My first question would be, what type of games do you play?

• Factually, if you use a PC running the Windows operating system, then there should be no issue for you running your business applications on a gaming machine.  Cutting edge games are some of the most demanding applications that exist, particularly in regards to graphic performance.  A solid gaming laptop will have more than enough graphics and computation power to run your business applications, but the same can not be said for a business oriented computer's ability to run games well.  

The other thing I would forewarn you, is that gaming laptops aren't known for having good battery life, especially when running games.  A business laptop might be able to go for many hours on battery, whereas, playing a game that's not cutting edge is likely to drain your battery in a short amount of time.

• I'm going to answer from two angles as I'm not sure the type of answer you're looking for.

Depending on the specs of the computer and the initial intent of purchase, you can tell whether it's capable of gaming. Considering what you've mentioned, which I'm assuming aren't power consuming programs, you may not get away with a wide selection of games. This is simply going off what you've written and would help if you could provide a make and model and any after-purchase upgrades you may have made.

My second thought was coming from the mindset of solely using the computer for work so that's all you think about and have access to do. Many people opt for having multiple computers for different purposes, so they only assume it with or use it for what they bought it for. If your specs check out as being a computer that can run games decently, I'd then recommend making a secondary profile just for gaming, so you don't end up mixing the two. This can help aid in preventing distraction (should that happen to be an issue) and keep everything nice and organized so there aren't any cross-pollinating programs, media, or files.

As I mentioned, if you can comment with the make and model of your computer, it would help us help you in answering if it's physically capable of running games. All computers can run games though, whether it's in a browser or downloaded from a store like Steam, so this also depends on what types of games you wish to play as well. Whichever way you intended for this question to lead, I hope my response helps!

• As long as buy the computer with gaming in mind, there is no reason you cannot do accounting on it as well. 

• Yeah, sure... Just depends on which games and security / admin policies.