Freebies for high reviews

What are your thoughts on companies and product makers offering free things such as items, software, privileges and other rewards for high rated reviews left in return? 

Parents
  • I do and don't have a problem with this based on the premise, allow me to explain.

If the free product is provided in the exchange of an honest review, I believe that is acceptable. For example I have been provided HUGE discounts at resorts and hotels in exchange for my honest review of their facilities and amenities.

With that said... I don't believe it is acceptable of the manufacturer/company nor the reviewer to accept something for free in return of a favorable review. For both parties your integrity can/will be compromised. Years ago I was faced with the situation of being required to write a favorable review of a mountain resort that was HORRIBLE. The situation occurred in 2017 and still to this day is the worst place I've stayed in my life. And I served for several years in the U.S. Army across the world and yet this place was still worse.

What I'm trying to say is, people read reviews assuming they are honest! The reader or watcher is genuinely trying to ascertain if they should purchase a product, engage in a service, or patronage an establishment. We are nothing without integrity! And if a company/entity/manufacturer is willing to offer you something for FREE in exchange for a good review, plain and simple, the company or product is HORRIBLE, and they know it!

Although I will admit... if Lenovo offered me a free laptop in exchange for a favorable review, that would be difficult (not impossible) to turn down.

• I do and don't have a problem with this based on the premise, allow me to explain.

If the free product is provided in the exchange of an honest review, I believe that is acceptable. For example I have been provided HUGE discounts at resorts and hotels in exchange for my honest review of their facilities and amenities.

With that said... I don't believe it is acceptable of the manufacturer/company nor the reviewer to accept something for free in return of a favorable review. For both parties your integrity can/will be compromised. Years ago I was faced with the situation of being required to write a favorable review of a mountain resort that was HORRIBLE. The situation occurred in 2017 and still to this day is the worst place I've stayed in my life. And I served for several years in the U.S. Army across the world and yet this place was still worse.

What I'm trying to say is, people read reviews assuming they are honest! The reader or watcher is genuinely trying to ascertain if they should purchase a product, engage in a service, or patronage an establishment. We are nothing without integrity! And if a company/entity/manufacturer is willing to offer you something for FREE in exchange for a good review, plain and simple, the company or product is HORRIBLE, and they know it!

Although I will admit... if Lenovo offered me a free laptop in exchange for a favorable review, that would be difficult (not impossible) to turn down.

Children
  • And I served for several years in the U.S. Army across the world and yet this place was still worse.

I'm picturing a travel poster...

Visit Sunny Fort Bragg

Visit Sunny Fort Bragg

You'll come for the (lack of) amenities.

But, you'll stay for the heavy artillery wake-up call.

btw- I once spent the weekend in Fayetteville, NC — at my girlfriend's grandmother's house.  Her grandmother was... quite large.  When I awoke to a thud — which seemed to shake the house — I called out, "Go check on your grandmother!  I think she fell!"  My girlfriend and her sister laughed their butt off.  Then more thuds, which also shook the house.

I asked, "Are we near the artillery range?  Why didn't you warn me?"

They wanted to see my reaction.  I didn't disappoint them. :-)