Advice for new PC gamers?!

I'm finally going to get my new Lenovo soon (waiting for another month or so to figure out which exact config I want), but what advise do you have for new PC gamers, been a Xbox gamer for ages and finally going to get a gaming laptop.

Thanks!  I read that upgrading RAM is a MUST! 

• The first thing I did when I got my rig was to have all of the bloatware removed. McAfee and a few of the anti cheats were causing issues with my games crashing. Had a lot of stuff removed and it's been smooth sailing. As far as RAM, 12 - 16 is fine for now, but at some point in the next few years, upgrading to 32 will be a must for new games. 

• Buy a stand to keep it well ventilated

• I would recommend you look up how-to videos related to maintenance. Dust build-up can become a serious issue for the lifespan of your system. It's nothing crazy just dedust about twice a year. 

• When i got my brother's laptop, the first thing I did was pick up a can of dust spray, and spray out the LITERAL CLOUDS of dust in that thing. So.... Every now and then maybe blow out the dust.

• If you buy a gaming laptop you should get either 16GB or 32GB of RAM, Windows 11 will reserve 4 GB RAM so you'll get 12-28GB for gaming. The more RAM you have the less you will lag which is more apparent in online games.

With a laptop you won't be able to play everything at max graphics but if the processor is i7, i9, ryzen 7, ryzen 9, you should be able to run any game. Since you have to play the top games at low to mid graphics it doesn't really matter what GPU you have, just buy whatever is available, make sure the system meets the requirements of the games you want to play.

If you buy a 14 inch laptop you will need to adjust the magnification a lot, go down to 80% for every website and if you can't read something increase it. Use ctrl -/+/0

Heat is a big issue for all computers. Don't play games that run over 80 degrees Celsius average. The biggest factors for heat are:

Dust

frame rate

VSYNC

graphics

thermal paste

Its best to keep the frame rate at 60 and VSYNC on. If you're capable of cleaning dust you should do it at least every 4 years or better yet every 2 years. Use the warranty before it expires to replace any stripped screws. Or just buy a new laptop every 4 to 6 years.

Programs to monitor temperature:

HWMonitor

MSI afterburner/ Rivatuner

Fighting/pvp games are meant to be played at high frame rates and with ethernet. Wi-fi puts you at a big disadvantage.

• Make sure you have at least 32GB of RAM. Other than that, there's no need to go big and waste money like I did... A good mid-range PC will do you just fine for a few years. 

•   

I read that upgrading RAM is a MUST! 

No.  Installing the right cheats—the right way—that's "a MUST".

Upgrading the RAM is optional. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Most athletes don't use performance-enhancing substances because they want to.  Most athletes use them—because they want a "fair" competition.  It only takes one "bad apple" to spoil the results.

But, if every apple is bad—then the results become unspoiled.  Crazy... but, true.  You and your opponents were all on the same "cocktail".

Remember... you've elected to join the "PC master race".  And just like other "master races" in history, they can win only by cheating (or other unfair advantages).

Would you spend $1,700 on a graphics card, if all it did was make the images prettier?  No.  Of course not.  You spend $1,700 on a single component—for the same reason an athlete spends $1,700 on a 1-month supply of PE substances.

That's right!  Even athletes are trying to increase their frames-per-second. lol

As a PC-gamer, you may want to save that RAM-upgrade money.  You'll need it for your health insurance.  "Ask your doctor if Adderall is right for you." :-)

Adderall contains 4 types of amphetamine—so you'll feel like you're playing better, even if you're not.  They call that "amphetamine psychosis".  They also say, "Use only as directed."  But, they don't explicitly say, "Don't crush it into powder and snort it." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Decisions.  They can be more complex than we'd like. lol smh

Seriously, though... before upgrading your RAM, make sure you check the product page for your CPU.  Higher MT/s¹ DIMMs and SODIMMs are often "compatible" with your CPU, because they can down-clock to the maximum speed your CPU supports.  Examples:

1. Intel Core i9-13900HX supports...
      1. Up to DDR5-5600 (5600 MT/s)
      2. Up to DDR4-3200 (3200 MT/s)
    2. Intel Core i7-13700HX supports...
      1. Up to DDR5-4800 (4800 MT/s)
      2. Up to DDR4-3200 (3200 MT/s)

SODIMM DDR5-5600 is "compatible" with both CPU models.  On the Core i7-13700HX, however, the RAM down-clocks to 4800 MT/s.  Similarly, SODIMM DDR5-6400 is "compatible" with the Core i9-13900HX—by down-clocking to 5600 MT/s.

Unless you imagine you'll transfer the RAM from a "compatible" CPU, today—to a "supported" CPU, in the future—don't waste your money on RAM that's faster than your CPU supports.

¹ MT/s → Mega-Transfers per second == Millions of transactions per second == Hertz == cycles per second

•   and  

Before games will require 32 GB of system memory, they will require 12–16 GB of video memory.  If you can afford both, then do both.  But, if you can only afford to do one or the other, choose a graphics card with 16 GB of GDDR6 (VRAM).  Especially, if you are more concerned with future-proofing your system than maximum performance.

A few 16-GB graphics cards on the market won't break the bank, while still delivering very playable 1080p and 1440p frame-rates.  Less so, playing at 2160p (4K) and/or with ray-tracing turned on.

Nvidia's GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16 GB can be had for ≈$500.  (Beware: they also make an 8 GB model.)

AMD's Radeon RX 7600XT (16 GB) can be had for ≈$320.  (Beware: the mobile version, Radeon RX 7600M XT, only has 8 GB of GDDR6.)

btw- If you are interested in running local instances of some AI models, like Stable Diffusion—those require a minimum of 16 GB of VRAM.  But, that's more of a PC-geek than a PC-gamer application for a GPU.

So far, I've only used my GeForce RTX 4060 Max-Q / Mobile (8 GB GDDR6) for GPU-compute.  It performs admirably—rendering classroom.blend (in Blender) in only 43 seconds¹.

¹ After the 1st-run (asset loading) render, which takes nearly 2 minutes.  The 2nd-run render takes only 43 seconds.  That, compared to 4 minutes on a Core i7-13700HX.  Or 36 minutes, on a Core i7-8565U or an Nvidia MX230.

• Use dust spray to keep clean and running smoothly.