Steam says you can't pass down your account in a will

A recent conversation with Steam seemingly indicates that trying to give a Steam library to a loved one through a will could face problems.

Steam says you can't pass down your account in a will as digital game collections are not inheritable since digital distribution limits ownership as users buy a license, not the product.

Digital distribution in general often carries the limitation that users aren't really buying the product, but rather buying a license to access it, which can potentially be removed at any time.

As digital libraries for games, movies, books, and other media continues to replace buying physical copies, how do you feel about the realization that you don't actually own any of what you've paid for?

Do you think you should be able to resell or transfer your digital licenses?

If a distributor revokes a license for any reason, do you think you should get a full refund at any time?

Parents
  • From what I've read about Steam in particular, is that your account there is associated with the first e-mail address that was registered to it. So, people that bought accounts had them taken away because they changed the email and didn't have access to the original. I don't know all the details about that as I have never bought or sold a Steam account, but it seems that if you wanted to leave your account to someone you would also have to will your email account as well. It seems crappy, though, that if you lost an old email account somehow, you might be screwed out of your Steam account, as well. I've never had that happen, either that is just from what I have gathered, so take it with a grain of salt.

• From what I've read about Steam in particular, is that your account there is associated with the first e-mail address that was registered to it. So, people that bought accounts had them taken away because they changed the email and didn't have access to the original. I don't know all the details about that as I have never bought or sold a Steam account, but it seems that if you wanted to leave your account to someone you would also have to will your email account as well. It seems crappy, though, that if you lost an old email account somehow, you might be screwed out of your Steam account, as well. I've never had that happen, either that is just from what I have gathered, so take it with a grain of salt.

Children
No Data