Tipping and Tipflation

I grew up in a culture where tipping is not common. If anything you just round up to the next bigger more convenient number. 

I also lived in a country/culture where tipping is frowned upon. It makes the person receiving the tip less valued because tipping is seen as something that a superior hands down. 

Now I live in the US and tipping is everywhere. Restaurant, Coffee Shops, Fast Food Restaurants, basically everywhere. Everybody puts out a tip jar, or the POS system is asking for a tip (15 20 25 percent).

I feel tipping should remain a reward for outstanding service, and should not be demanded. At the same time the employers should pay enough wage for people to live on. 

What do you guys think ? 

Parents
  • I think it's better if employers just paid their employees a livable wage instead of having tips be the bulk of their income.  It just sends the wrong message to both the worker and the patrons imo.  That said, this is the system we're at.  I tend to tip 15-20 percent when I'm eating out.

• I think it's better if employers just paid their employees a livable wage instead of having tips be the bulk of their income.  It just sends the wrong message to both the worker and the patrons imo.  That said, this is the system we're at.  I tend to tip 15-20 percent when I'm eating out.

Children
No Data