Tipping and Tipflation

I grew up in a culture where tipping is not common. If anything you just round up to the next bigger more convenient number. 

I also lived in a country/culture where tipping is frowned upon. It makes the person receiving the tip less valued because tipping is seen as something that a superior hands down. 

Now I live in the US and tipping is everywhere. Restaurant, Coffee Shops, Fast Food Restaurants, basically everywhere. Everybody puts out a tip jar, or the POS system is asking for a tip (15 20 25 percent).

I feel tipping should remain a reward for outstanding service, and should not be demanded. At the same time the employers should pay enough wage for people to live on. 

What do you guys think ? 

Parents
  • Tipping is a lie and  scam. Restaurants bring people in by marketing $5 hamburgers or whatever. Then when you pay, they expect you to do the math and pay extra. Tips are not a nice little reward you give to a server for going above and beyond the call of duty to help customers as we were taught or people imply. Tips are an expected part of their wages. Employers are legally allowed in many places to pay below minimum wage in industries if tipping is involved. Lots of social pressure to throw extra money around. They should just charge more for the food and pay workers a decent living wage. Leave the customer out of it. If a waiter is truly excellent, maybe $5 or the legendary $1000 is appropriate, but this modern obligatory system is bad because it hurts workers as well as customers.

• Tipping is a lie and  scam. Restaurants bring people in by marketing $5 hamburgers or whatever. Then when you pay, they expect you to do the math and pay extra. Tips are not a nice little reward you give to a server for going above and beyond the call of duty to help customers as we were taught or people imply. Tips are an expected part of their wages. Employers are legally allowed in many places to pay below minimum wage in industries if tipping is involved. Lots of social pressure to throw extra money around. They should just charge more for the food and pay workers a decent living wage. Leave the customer out of it. If a waiter is truly excellent, maybe $5 or the legendary $1000 is appropriate, but this modern obligatory system is bad because it hurts workers as well as customers.

Children
No Data