Virtual Reality

Are any of the virtual reality headsets worth buying?  I am not only talking about the headsets themselves, which is important, but also whether or not the content is sufficient and enjoyable to engage with. VR will be great at some point, but i am not convinced that we have reached that point yet, so i hesitate to bother with it.

• There are some good VR games out there, but I don't know if there's enough to justify going out to buy a VR headset just yet.  I think the tech is great and has good potential, but I still think it's a little bit early for me to take the leap.

• There aren't enough games to justify the average person buying a VR setup. The last big VR game was Half-Life Alyx, which came out over 4 years ago. The limited library and lack of big titles are really hurting VR. 

That being said it is still fun. If you have spare money then you can definitely find some enjoyment with VR. It's a premium option that can offer a good amount of hours of fun. 

• A Quest 2 starts at only $200, which I think is still well worth it even if it is an older model. You can barely go out to a nice dinner and a movie for that price and Ultimate Editions of some games are even starting to approach that now.

• The games that are best on VR, in my opinion, are racing, flying, and spaceship games. They can really change the whole gaming experience for the better. Of course, to maximize it there are more things than just the headset that you need, a HOTAS set up or steering wheel and pedals are the minimum, depending on what kind of games you're wanting to play. A motion chair really sets it apart, though, but will add thousands of dollars to the whole thing. 

I would love to own a setup like that, but it's not in the cards for me at the moment. There was a VR place near me that had a nice racing set up that I would play and I have been wanting one ever since. There is a racetrack called Laguna Seca in Monterrey, California that has a famous turn called "The Corkscrew" which is a chicane that drops 59 feet (18m). Going over it in a full-blown VR setup made my stomach drop like I was on a roller coaster and I have been wanting one so bad ever since.

If you're primarily a fan of other genres like FPS or RPG, I don't think VR is really worth it. I think it'd be something you bring out once in a while when a friend wants to try, or some new game comes out, but not something that you'd be using all the time, but I'm often wrong about stuff, lol. Good luck and have fun!