What is the worst experience you've had with a device manufacturer?

Rotten AppleDid you have trouble getting support?

Did you have trouble getting them to honor their warranty?

What was your experience?  And with which manufacturer?

Parents
  • I can't remember the last time i had to call a device manufacturer for support. Might have been gateway 25 years ago and i wasn't impressed. I really don't ever run into hardware issues, only software issues and those you can troubleshoot. Hardware just needs to be replaced if it fails.

OP: you somehow managed to inspire the longest posts i've seen on this forum so my hat is off to you!

• Cheers,  !

Yeah.  I had a no-name brand (Pentium 133) I bought from a little computer shop, in Flushing, NY.  I found them at a computer convention, in 1995.  They had a few of their pre-built systems at the convention.  But, I placed an order for a custom-built system, which I picked up from their shop a week later.

I do not recall the exact driver issues I had.  But, I feel like the SoundBlaster sound card was the culprit.  If I recall correctly, every new game I installed required some amount of work, by me, to get the driver to work with the game.  Usually, uninstalling and reinstalling the driver.  Occasionally, changing values in the driver settings.

How much of that was Windows '95?  I can't say for sure.  I know that I don't remember any driver issues after installing Windows NT 4.  But, I seem to recall issues with some games — which couldn't (or wouldn't) run on Windows NT 4.

A friend got a Gateway (386DX ??), in 1987.  I was very impressed by it.  But, that was also my 1st time seeing Windows.  I was still running DOS — on a Tandy 1000.

We didn't understand Windows.  We did everything through the File Manager — finding the right folder for the program — and double-clicking the .exe file.  I don't think we used a single short-cut, until 1992. lol

• Cheers,  !

Yeah.  I had a no-name brand (Pentium 133) I bought from a little computer shop, in Flushing, NY.  I found them at a computer convention, in 1995.  They had a few of their pre-built systems at the convention.  But, I placed an order for a custom-built system, which I picked up from their shop a week later.

I do not recall the exact driver issues I had.  But, I feel like the SoundBlaster sound card was the culprit.  If I recall correctly, every new game I installed required some amount of work, by me, to get the driver to work with the game.  Usually, uninstalling and reinstalling the driver.  Occasionally, changing values in the driver settings.

How much of that was Windows '95?  I can't say for sure.  I know that I don't remember any driver issues after installing Windows NT 4.  But, I seem to recall issues with some games — which couldn't (or wouldn't) run on Windows NT 4.

A friend got a Gateway (386DX ??), in 1987.  I was very impressed by it.  But, that was also my 1st time seeing Windows.  I was still running DOS — on a Tandy 1000.

We didn't understand Windows.  We did everything through the File Manager — finding the right folder for the program — and double-clicking the .exe file.  I don't think we used a single short-cut, until 1992. lol

Children
No Data