What is your preferred way to backup your system?

what is your preferred way to back up your files? Are you more into backing up your stuff on a cloud? An external hard drive? Or an m.2 enclosure? Lastly, why is that preferred method of backing up your files?

Personally I have my files backed up on an external hard drive and more recently started using a m.2 enclosure.

Parents
  • Bah, I can't bring myself to trust the cloud for anything that may contain any kind of data that may be either sensitive or of a personal nature. It's safer and more secure to keep it offline. I just use external hard drives to create system image backups as well as a medium to organize files and serve as a data archive. It's just an easy and simple solution that doesn't require a more complex setup or configuration. I was considering perhaps setting up a NAS (network attached storage) solution at some point though and configuring a Raspberry Pi to be the server.

• Bah, I can't bring myself to trust the cloud for anything that may contain any kind of data that may be either sensitive or of a personal nature. It's safer and more secure to keep it offline. I just use external hard drives to create system image backups as well as a medium to organize files and serve as a data archive. It's just an easy and simple solution that doesn't require a more complex setup or configuration. I was considering perhaps setting up a NAS (network attached storage) solution at some point though and configuring a Raspberry Pi to be the server.

Children
  • You could simply add a SATA NAS drive as a standard HDD, my answer below says exactly that for a solution. +1 for you general thought process though, I completely agree. I hear which programs people use and almost laugh...I've made my own disk clone program and wbadmin.exe is still much more compact and easier for me. (check my reply for complete details OP)