Keeping Legion 7 Cool

Hey Friends,

I just a Legion 7 last month for gaming purposes but also because I run pretty substantive statistical software and naturally, the power from this laptop would aid in that work. My question is, what set-ups do you all have to help keep the system cool? Presently, I have a six fan stand under the laptop and have it raised to facilitate air flow. I have the built-in system fan set to automatic so it can adjust as necessary. I have a stand fan blowing onto the computer as well as have no obstructions preventing air flow around the system. The system is not in the sunlight and the central air is set to 75 degrees F. Despite all of this, it is still running hot. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to reduce the temperature? I want the system to last for a while, to work to the best of its ability, and not to be hot to the touch on the keyboard. I greatly appreciate you all! 

jaimers215 the statistical gamer

• You might consider re-pasting thermal with better quality paste like Thermal Grizzly or Arctic Silver and use a paste spreader to ensure full coverage of die as you do not want direct contact with heatsink plate. You can also uses intel XTU or Throttlestop to undervolt the CPU. Since the heatsink is also shared with GPU you can use MSI Afterburner to undervolt the GPU as well to reduce the heat needing to be removed from the system. 

What did you consider hot exactly? If you are thinking the thermals would be the same as a liquid cooled desktop then you are setting yourself up for failure here. These devices will always run hotter than a desktop but rest assured its not unsafe or damaging to the system unless you are constantly above 90C. 

• Thank you for that advice. 

In terms of hot, I mean touching the keypad and having to remove my fingers hot. I know they always run hot, but it shouldn't be that hot with the external cooling set-up and that I wasn't even doing anything that would really make the CPU or GPU work. It's brand new. I've had the laptop for just about a month. 

• I would call support then... It doesn't happen often but it's possible that the factory made a mistake with your thermal paste or a few missing thermal pads causing heat issues. AFAIK that laptop should run decent thermally so you might have just had a little bad luck. 

• Thank you. I will reach out to support. 

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 26 days ago in reply to jaimers215

Do you subscribe to their in home warranty? It's extremely affordable, and well worth it, especially for issues like this. I had the same issue with my Yoga, they were out at my house in just a couple days, rethermal pasted the CPU, changed out the entire heat exchanger, and told me if I was still having an issue, they would replace the motherboard. Easy Peasy, and you don't have to worry about them crying that you voided the warranty which support will tell you if you want to upgrade your memory or OS, trust me, I know, I have been there lol (PS - Neither voids the warranty!)

• Yes, I have the home warranty for sure. I am a Lenovo (ThinkPad) fanatic (this is my seventh system since they bought the original product division from IBM). I got in touch with support and they remotely ran a program that I use on my Yoga (which definitely has heat issues lol, but then I got this one to replace that one) and the desired values are only a little out of range, so they don't seem overly concerned about it. We will just keep monitoring it and if it gets worse then they will take a look at the thermal paste and anything else that may be of issue. 

Thank you so much for your help with this!! Rock on!

• Firstly I would recommend talking to support about the problem, see what they say, if it’s under warrantee maybe they’ll have you send it back to open it up and take a look.

Secondly, having external fans blowing on your laptop is a good thing only IF: they are clean fans with absolutely no dust, AND they are blowing directly into the intake. If you want to add more external fans to help, you can, but have them facing away for your laptop/PC, and in a spot where it picks up the heat from the exhaust and blows it away.

• Your welcome, sorry that previous reply posted as Anonymous. I also have a Yoga, and that one is now suffering from crippling overheating. Its now running at 90C at idle. I contacted Lenovo this morning and they want me to send it in rather then have someone do another house call on it. I have a feeling they will be replacing the motherboard or replacing the system all together. Frustrating! But atleast I still have my Legion 5.

While I was not originally a Lenovo fan, I had been impressed with my old work Laptop which was a Thinkpad, and when I was looking for another 2 in 1, the Yoga was the only one in my price range at the time and I really fell in love with it, and the quality of their builds (minus the overheating part) which is why I bought the Legion 5 when I was in the market for a Gaming Laptop. The Legion 5 is just a beefy laptop, and I love the 17in display! Now they are coming out with the Legion 7 and I am jealous, I really like the looks of that thing. 

However, I have done a memory upgrade and a wireless card upgrade on my Legion, and I know I have given myself more time with this laptop to enjoy for much longer. I just wish they would make laptops where the video cards were in a socket form so you could upgrade them. That would be sweet because this CPU and the memory are more then enough and will be powerful for years to come, but the GPU's lifetime is finite.  Sad, but true. That is the only thing that will really need to be upgraded in the next year or so, everything else on this has additional headroom to be upgraded (more memory, larger disk, etc) but the GPU, well, once it's dated, there is nothing oen can do but buy an entirely new laptop. 

If they figure out the heat issue on the Yoga, I think that will seal my future relationship with Lenovo laptops and I will be staying with Lenovo for years to come. I mean their support can leave much to be desired as they are not very flexible (I could not open 2 issues in one chat session), and they use canned support dialogs such as wanting me to uninstall the drivers for a bad port , clearly this would do nothing when it is a physical port issue (if you wiggle the cable to the headphone jack, the sound cuts out) while they are fixing it, their troubleshooting techniques are out of touch with reality.  You can not beat Lenovo's warranty and in home support. It's extremely inexpensive (perhaps I should not say that so loud, they may get the wrong impression and jack the price! lol). There is no other manufacturer that I know of that costs less then $40 per year for both full in home support and accidental damage coverage. I mean that is amazingly reasonable, and really is one of the only reasons I first decided to try Lenovo, or I should say, it is what cemented the deal. That really sets them apart from all other manufacturers in my opinion. 

Cheers!