"Great" games that aged poorly?

I went through a period of time between 2005-2015 where I wasn't buying a lot of the newest, hyped games because between school and football, I didn't have a lot of time to dedicate to the single-player games I love and I still have a hard time paying full-price for a game. 

GamePass and free games on Epic really opened up my horizons as I can try some of those older games I had missed. Also apparently my library loans Nintendo Switch games.

That said, I've tried three articular games that I can't figure out why they got so much hype when they did: BioShock, Dishonored, and Breath of the Wild.

People say they LOVE these games. One of my wife's friends said Breath of the Wild changed her life. To me, that game was a lot running around in a soulless, empty world. Banjo Kazooie and Mario 64 had the same amount of going on in that world. I quit playing before I was out of the first area.

Dishonored seemed like a "game on rails" so to speak, where you're led down one path with little creativity. To be fair, I also played Dishonored 2 before that and wasn't impressed either.

And BioShock just seemed lame and uninteresting.

After having played open world games like Witcher 3, Assassins Creed, Starfield, Skyrim, Cyberpunk 2077, GTA... am I just overly critical of any game that doesn't provide the same open world experience or are these games that have just aged poorly? They were a relic of their time and place and going back to them after all these years is unfair? Did Breath of the Wild (a newer game) have an advantage in Game of the Year awards in 2017 simply because it was accessible to children and the only game on the Switch platform like itself?

Don't mean to drag these games, but what am I missing? I play plenty of "slow" strategic games so not sure it's purely an adrenaline/action/patience thing either.

• Dragon Age could be one, maybe except Inquistion. Old Starcraft is meh compared to the quality of life SC 2 brings. Some of these games were ahead of its time, but now more current games brought better mechanics gameplay, or improved the aspect altogether.

• There are quite a few games that I would put into that category but will only mention a few of them to keep the list from running too long. Splinter Cell, Deus Ex, Beyond Good and Evil, Dragon Age, Max Payne, Singularity, KOTOR and Witcher 1 are some that I would highlight.. All really great games but feel outdated and wish they would get a faithful remake for modern gaming.

• Mass Effect was great until Mass Effect Andromeda. 

• Section 8 had so much potential but ended up not aging very well.

• Wolfenstein 3D is one of them. It was a masterpiece, but it hasn't aged well. You may play for studies and historical purposes, but it's not a great game anymore. 

• No question, Diablo.

• I know exactly what you mean about Witcher 1. The fighting was so arcade style that I skipped it and went straight to Witcher 3. I am surprised you put Splinter Cell here though. I haven't gone back to it, but I think about that game fondly and thought it would hold up a little bit better. 

• This is hard, because everyone is a critic, so I will say Donkey Kong. 

• Goldeneye has aged like milk. I said it in '98 and I'll say it again, Turok 2 was the best FPS on N64

• It's hard to say....