Framework 16 hype?

Hi everyone!

Seeing modular laptops becoming a little more popular with the framework 16 makes me wonder if Lenovo is experimenting with or planning on making something similar.

What are your thoughts on being able to eventually upgrade and increase longevity of a gaming laptop? 

• I think this is a great idea as it would help reduce e-waste and would encourage customers to keep their devices longer. It would also allow manufacturers to earn more money in the long run as customers keep coming back for upgrades; however, customers would not be paying full price for new units which could discourage manufacturers from going this route. It could also mean that the upgradable/replacement parts could become very expensive, as is seen with Apple. 

• Manufacturers will be reluctant for modular laptops because, as you pointed out, “customers not paying full price for new units which could discourage manufacturers from going this route”. A possible push to “incentivize” manufacturers to offer modular laptops is for consumers to fight for their rights to repair and have legislation passed.

• I too would like to see how Framework's success will influence other laptop manufacturers such as Lenovo. I am surely inclined to purchase a more serviceable laptop and am not looking to throw a laptop away if a cheaper repair route is available. Aside from that, having a means of upgrading is a "good thing" too.

• Great idea for consumers but wont happen cause inconvenient for manufacturing all the modular bits which will keep the big laptop makers out of it most likely.  Would be nice to upgrade or repair. Hate that so many laptops these days cant even upgrade memory or storage as soldered in place.

• I think upgradable modular laptops is an excellent idea, especially given the fact laptop prices have been on the constant rise. Not only this, I seriously do think modular laptops will help decrease the shear number of modern-day unusable laptops end up in our landfills. For these two reasons alone, I really do wish I had enough cash on hand to go out and buy myself a Framework laptop.

• Most manufacturers build laptops and systems with minimal longevity in mind so as to drive the recurring revenue of system replacements. Anything that extends the useful lifetime of their product and thus pushing that recurring revenue further out will not be embraced.

• I really like the work that Framework is doing and hope that some pieces of that design mindset can be picked up by major manufacturers like Lenovo.

• You normally achieve better costs with economies of scale. If Lenovo can purchase 100,000 units of the latest Intel CPU in bulk, it gets them at a discount. Since Intel knows it will receive the income from Lenovo for the large quantity, it can offer the items at a reduced price... similar to ski resorts and season passes for skiing. On the other hand, if each modular component maker only purchases 1,000 units of each hardware component, it will cost more for them to purchase the lower quantity of items... and, ultimately, the customer will have to pay more for the final product. So, it really depends on if the market is willing to pay more for the modularity over a less-expensive, all-in-one, completely pre-built device. From my experience with computers, there is often one or more bottlenecks present in the architecture of a modular computer that ultimately prevents the device from achieving its long-term goal of keeping the hardware current - the bus speed, the power levels, BIOS limitations, etc.

• I really like what Frameork has been doing. I just hope that they can offer more gaming options and continue to tweak their concept. Upgradability and repairability is a rare thing with laptops.