Tech and Gadget for PC

What tech or gadget you use on your PC, that is an extra, that you love or like?

Like I have TV Tuner on my PC, I don’t like watching TV, but occasionally it might be something good on TV, and I like to record so I don’t miss it.

I have a Gadget that let me use old controllers, when I am playing classic games.

• I have a camera connected to raspberry pi and it can be connected to a Samsung flat screen TV.

• I just started using a second monitor, and oh my god is it a game changer. I see now why ppl want so many monitors. Why manage your apps to jigsaw to fit onto one screen when you can have a second one all to the pages self? It’s so great for managing tasks and working between different apps like emails and reading documents and taking notes 

•  

Have you tried playing around with the capture settings on OBS?

I cannot provide much advice at all.  I barely use OBS.  But, when I do — the results are pretty good.

Remember that KITH-clip I shared with you?  That was captured with OBS — then trimmed with HandBrake.¹

If you want me to send you screenshots of my OBS settings, lmk.

¹ I could have (probably) downloaded the whole episode with yt-dlp (a better fork of youtube-dl), but I must give it my streaming-service credentials (or a session-token).  And I don't trust download-tools with either.

• That might be it. Have you tried it with multiple services? I seem to always get black screened with video or screenshots. Have not tried more than 5 times total or screwed around in settings.

•  

Well... I don't use it anymore.  I bought it 22 years ago.  It only has VGA in/out.  But, I loved my 4-port KVM-switch.

• For the first 5 years, I had 3–4 PCs switching to the same keyboard, monitor, and mouse.  Completely de-cluttered my home office.
    • In 2007, I had 3 PCs switching to all 3 peripherals, plus my PS3 switching to the just the keyboard and mouse.
    • In 2008, I got a Mac mini and mothballed the oldest PC (a ThinkPad T20).  Like the PS3, the Mac mini didn't have a VGA-out (DVI-out only).  So, that was my 2nd K-M device.

Once I stopped using the other 2 PCs on the KVM-switch, I stopped using the switch (circa 2012).  But, I got 10 years of use before I packed it in a box — along with all the USB B-to-A cables and VGA cables I no longer needed.  Why keep all that?

Hey... it might come in handy if I ever de-mothball my ≥22-year-old PCs.

After all, I still use the (2004) Sony SDM-S204 20.1" 1600x1200 85Hz LCD Monitor — with a DVI-to-Thunderbolt adapter.  And it still looks great.  Any time I want to use my MacBook Air, I also use that 20-year-old monitor.

I only wish the (2015) MacBook Air's built-in display lasted 1/20th as long.  It lasted almost a full year.  The built-in display failed on day 364 of Apple's 1-year (BS) warranty.  It never left my house — as pristine as day 1, at the time of the failure (Summer 2016).

Did Apple accept my warranty-claim?

[Flock] no!  But, they offered to [relieve me of] another $675 — to repair their defective POS — after [relieving me of] over $1,700, just a year earlier.  Apple is anti right-to-repair.  They're not anti-repair.  Apple gets much of their revenue from repair.  Especially, with the "user-inflicted damage" warranty-claim escape-clause.  Just declare all damage to be "user-inflicted" — and presto!  Another $675 in revenue.

I declined Apple's offer.

But... I promised Apple I would never buy one of their (BS) products again.  And a man is only as good as his word.

What would Apple think of me... if I go back on my promise? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ lol

•  

Never mind.  I just remembered... OBS blocks DRM-content — on Windows (and macOS).

"Perhaps sir would like to order something from the Linux-distro menu?" :-)

I can screen-record anything I want.  But, I never do.  If I don't own it, I don't screen-record it.¹

¹ Unless I have a dire emergency — like not finding the clip I want on YouTube. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Yes,  two monitors at a minimum or one of those extra wide format ones:

• 32:9 aspect ratio: 3840×1080, 5120×1440, 7680×2160
    • 21:9 aspect ratio: 3840×1600, 5120×2160
  • I had a KVM like the one you described for many years. It is good that you are keeping that old tech around. There are tech items that I have let slip away over the years.

I regret not keeping a good Samsung 1080P Plasma TV. In the heat of the moment during my last divorce I grabbed the Samsung LCD instead. Both were old Tvs with A/V, composite, VGA, and HDMI inputs. Great for running old tech on.

i do still have my prize possession of accessories. An 18” Dell LCD monitor I purchased in 2003 with my tax return. That beauty set me back $800+. It has DVI-D, VGA, a super video, and regular RCA style video input on it. I keep it around as the mother of backwards compatibility.

• That's good to know. A solid answer. I don't mean record a whole show, as much as making gifs and screenshots  from HBO or whatever. I don't want to rely on the kindness of strangers anymore. I am an adult with specific needs that are often not met by the content currently available. Guess I will have to screw around on Linux like the cool nerds.

• Yes I use OBS for recording my screen, but not for live TV. I use WinTV it has it own software and Yes you chose where in you hard drive. If you get a black screen is usually two reasons comparability issue or missing drivers.