Warranty

Hi everyone! 

Do I lose warranty if I change the thermal paste on my legion go?

•   Good question, and I don't know, but I think you would...

Also like with changing the SSD I think I would have officially lost the warranty already, even if it is just opening the Go and exchanging the memory stick...

The question is if Lenovo will still accept it under "good will" and repair it as part of the warranty if something happens to the device...

•   

tl;dr → You are unlikely to see a significant improvement in performance.  It's not worth it on a new device of this type.  You'll get (at most) a 3–5 fps bump.  If you the job poorly, you may get a 3–5 fps deficit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Warranties in the United States are regulated under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (MMWA).  According to Louis Rossmann (a right-to-repair YouTube channel), the MMWA places the burden of proof on the manufacturer.  That is—to deny warranty service—the manufacturer must prove that you damaged your property.  If Rossmann's interpretation is correct, we can always repair, upgrade, and modify our property—provided we do not damage its parts or functionality.  Louis Rossmann also believes "warranty void if damaged or removed" stickers and similar statements are either illegal or misleading; to trick consumers into not making claims on their warranty.

In practice, however, I suspect Louis Rossmann is dreaming.  Legally, the sticker may be considered a "part" of the device.  I don't know if that's true, but I can imagine that's its purpose.  By damaging or removing the sticker—you've "damaged" the device.  Also, I've never heard of a manufacturer filing a lawsuit to prove they are not liable for warranty repair.  Lawsuits are filed by customers—against manufacturers—after warranty service was denied.

That makes the customer the Plaintiff and the manufacturer the Respondent.  The burden of proof is always on the Plaintiff.  In a civil case, the Plaintiff is like the Prosecutor in a criminal case.  The Respondent is like the Defendant—"innocent until proven guilty".

When making repairs and upgrading components on my devices, I always assume the manufacturer will void any warranty claims I make.  That is... if the repair or upgrade is detected.  But, I DIY repair and upgrade my devices anyway.

If I don't feel confident about the repair or upgrade, then I record a video of the process—from 2 angles—to have a record: exactly what I did and the result I got.  That is—not only do I have a record of the repair—but, I also have a record of its success or failure.  I use 2 cameras—or a single camera and a mirror.  I start by documenting the device functioning properly, before beginning disassembly.  And I don't stop recording until I've tested (and documented) the result; i.e. turn it back on while the camera(s) is still recording.

Finally, if your Legion Go is brand new—you don't need to change the thermal paste, yet.  I'm not sure if they even use thermal paste.  It may have a phase-change thermal pad—which is better than thermal paste.

And if you're considering Liquid Metal—reconsider.  The improvement on a Legion Go will be minimal.  While the risk will be great.  Liquid Metal is an electrically-conductive, low-viscosity, thermal compound.  If it makes contact with the pads or traces on the PCB, that will short-circuit the PCB and any damage will be your fault.

btw- I always use Arctic Silver thermal paste. :-)

•  

Nice try.  At least he might actually read and respond to your reply. lol

https://gaming.lenovo.com/us/connect/groups/legion-go/f/forum/13205/warranty/82976

•   That is totally true! In the optimum case it will be like 5 to 10 degrees cooler, dependent on how good the used paste or thermal pad already are. For the Legion Go though it is already not an optimal case, as it's case is really tight, there is not that much of airflow happening compared to in Desktops, so   from what I've seen from people who already did it; exchanging the backplate with one with more ventilation holes at good positions will improve the temperature substancially, making the device a lot quieter, and being less risky then exchanging cooling paste. Just with the part of using the same hinge and small screws (which can easily be broken if you screw them too tight) is the thing you should be careful with if you are interested in modding it.

• I think you'd risk losing warranty if you do any modifications on the original product. This is probably applicable to most products. Once the original is "messed" with, the company can have a reason to not honor the warranty.

• If heat is the main issue it’s because of the back plate. There is not enough airflow and it gets very warm to almost hot to the touch. The power cord where it plugs in got extremely warm during gaming and the whole system felt like a furnace despite having good APU temps.

I replaced the back plate with one that has lots of vents for airflow and it made a massive difference and the charging port no longer feels like a lava pit, while the back of the unit is barely warm to the touch now. It also lowered the APU temps by 2-3c all for a 20.00 investment.

a.aliexpress.com/_mqTnazM

•  

In the optimum case it will be like 5 to 10 degrees cooler

Yeah... optimally the thermal compound to be replaced is old and dried out. lol

The AMD Z1 Extreme operates at 9–30 Watts.  How much cooling does it really need?

from what I've seen from people who already did it; exchanging the backplate with one with more ventilation holes at good positions will improve the temperature substancially, making the device a lot quieter, and being less risky then exchanging cooling paste.

I am so glad you mentioned that.  The rest of the cooling solution matters more than replacing (already) new thermal compound.  But, I wouldn't do it.  Not unless I can afford to replace the device if I [muck] it up.

Save your time and money for real upgrades:

1. Double the system memory and increase the memory clock-speed (if the CPU and MB-chipset support it); not available on Legion Go (LPDDR5X 7500 MT/s is already the max; LPDDR5X must be soldered to the MB; for contrast... the AMD Z1 Extreme supports replaceable/upgradeable SODIMM DDR5 up to 5600 MT/s; i.e. SODIMM DRR5-5600 is supported, while SODIMM DDR5-6400 is "compatible"—by down-clocking to 5600 MT/s)
    2. Double (or quadruple) the system storage, increase the transfer speeds, and increase the IOPS; good luck doing that in the m.2 2242 form-factor (tiny, square SSD; not the big m.2 2280 rectangles, which sometimes have DRAM-cache or SLC-cache)

I see that as a problem in the enthusiast community.  Reddit posts and YouTube videos—encouraging everyone to mod their device—without any disclaimer, like: "I did this without giving it a 2nd thought—because I can afford to buy 10 more of these devices!"

Analogy: I don't subscribe to content about "How to get the most out of my private jet."  Why?  I can't afford a private jet.  At ≈$100,000 per flight, I can't afford to rent one.  I can't even afford to fly 1st-class.  So, why go down that rabbit-hole?  Because I can afford the jet-fuel??? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not a full tank, though.  That costs about $3,000.  I can afford to turn off the "empty" light.  Taking off with so little fuel isn't recommended for most flights.  On the upside, when the plane crashes, it can't turn into a fireball.  Not while the tanks are empty. :-)

•  

Once the original is "messed" with, the company can have a reason to not honor the warranty.

Exactly.  Strictly speaking—it's illegal¹ when they do it.  But, they do it anyway.

¹ According to some interpretations of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (USA), without proving that the customer has actually damaged the product, the manufacturer warranty cannot be voided.  But, I see no evidence that the MMWA is properly enforced.  Customers take manufacturers to court for not honoring their warranty.

It should be the other way around; i.e. to deny warranty service, the manufacturer must prove in court that the customer has previously damaged the product.  Without filing a lawsuit, the manufacturer should be forced (by law enforcement?) to complete warranty service.

If only Apple's customers knew—they can call the cops on "Geniuses" who say, "You must have dropped it," or "It's liquid-damaged."  But, they don't.  Because Macs are for Dummies—and Dummies are for Macs. :-)

btw- I'm allowed to call them "dummies".  I've owned 2 Macs.  So... I'm one of the "dummies".  Though I treated them gently—and I'm a career IT professional—they both broke within a year.  "Fool me twice... uhh... the point is, you can't get fooled again." - POTUS GWB :-P

• Hi  ,

yes, if anyone decides to mod the Legion GO it is important to know how to do it, and also to know there is a risk of something not going well. Especially me not being good in manual work, and not having a sothering stick (or how it is called) nor not even a small workshop area in the cellar or so, if I would only change the backplate to an already 3D printed backplate, or let a service be doing it for which I wouldn't have to sother anything.

-> I'm thinking about it since months, and I'm always thinking of the risks and also about I will have to sell it and don't want to build it back to original for that...

-> Even if there are a few really good solutions by now, also allowing to build in a 2280 SSD using an adapter. Which works fine having a 5 to 10 % speed drop compared to natively used 2230 (with an adapter how I use it) and 2242, but still reaching the speed of top 2230/2242 models. The only issue is they use up more energy and the GO is already not efficient for AAA games.

I'm using a good Corsair 2 TB 2230 SSD and I'm really happy with it WinkThumbsupThumbsup 

Its temperature with about 60 to a max. of 75 in syntetic benchmarks (Crystalmark) is totally fine and with a max speed of about 5500 in read and 5000 in write it is really good. I like to buy Corsair hardware, even if they are more expensive, but their quality is really great and reliable over and over again and their support has always been superb. They even sent me a microphone for my Headset I lost for free even if the warranty was already over. Besides other great interactions with the support in the past.

•   

and not having a sothering stick (or how it is called)

Soldering iron.  I have one, but my solder-joint skills are atrocious.  I don't attempt repairs or upgrades which require soldering.

I'm using a good Corsair 2 TB 2230 SSD and I'm really happy with it

Sure.  There's nothing inherently wrong with the form-factor.  Compared to 2280 (and larger), however, 2230 and 2242 are severely limited by the available physical space.

The latest (phase-change) universal memory promises to alleviate that.  But, at what price—as in money?  We'll see.