ROG Ally already got AFMF

https://www.xda-developers.com/asus-rog-ally-amd-fluid-motion-frames/

I wonder when legion go will get these too.....

Parents
  • I got it to work using the 24.4.1 driver. 
    Heck, even the AMD Overlay is in the correct orientation. Sad that lenovo doesnt do anything to promote this or whatever.. 

• This is not the proper AFMF implementation and it doesnt work with all games. In some games, it works correctly with the correct orientation. In some others it works but not with the proper orientation and in the majority of the games it doesnt work at all. 

This has been the status of AFMF on the Go since the first beta AFMF driver by AMD back in January and no progress has been made since then neither by AMD or Lenovo.

And the fact that Lenovo has still not released official drivers, even without AFMF support, since December makes me regret my purchase. BenMyers has also jumped ship because its obvious that things are very stale in the dev department for the Go.

When some asks me about which handheld is the best ATM, its very obvious that the Ally is still the king on every aspect.

• While this might be true, it didnt work on that game (Fallout 4) on v23.4, also the overlay wassn't correct. Now with 24.4 ist is. 
    Thats at least some progress, also alot others report that it works on most cases on 24.4 now. So at least something is happening, even without lenovo. lol 

•   

I can confirm this;

With the first driver versions with AFMF the overlay was always flipped and not being displayed correctly with any game I've tried... I've never seen it working at all so far...

In which games does AFMF only work flipped? I never experienced this since the beginning and would like to test this, if I already own the games.

I would disagree the Ally is better in any aspect...:

- Performance wise the Legion Go is faster in at least 3/4 of the games (if set up properly on Performance TPU and efficiency system with 6 GB VRAM), even at lower wattages if you switch it to 6400 MHz RAM speed in tge BIOS.

- The screen is bigger (8.8 inches compared to 7 inches is a massive difference!) and it's colors are way nicer (even if it doesn't have VRR). I like it offering a higher resolution for older and mid old games, or indies/emulators, as I use it a lot for them.

- The battery works longer at exact the same resolution and settings, as it is bigger.

- As far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong), the ROG ALLY can't go down to 5 watts minimum TPU like the Legion Go, which is awesome for playing older/ indy games as it's battery lasts REALLY long (many hours) that way. Played Dead Cells at 6 watt custom TDP at 1600p for over 3 hours in a row and I still had over 50% of battery, even if not using Headphones, but the internal speakers!

- Detachable controllers (which I don't care abou too much, as sincerely I always play holding the whole thing in my hand, but it is a good option which makes it more versatile, for playing couch coop for example, or when it becoming too heavy to hold)

- FPS mode (shame on me! I still never properly tried it! Just held the controller without the analog stick in my hand, and it didn't feel ergonomic at all, so I just left it out, knowing real mice are just superiour to it...)

---

Of course the ALLY has it's advantages too:

- weight and mobility

- better and more quiet cooling solution

- VRR screen

- apparently still better settings software

---

-> so it is really up to preferences which one you prefer, but saying the ALLY is the king on "every aspect" is just totally esagerated and just not true in any way you turn it.

•   

I can confirm this;

With the first driver versions with AFMF the overlay was always flipped and not being displayed correctly with any game I've tried... I've never seen it working at all so far...

In which games does AFMF only work flipped? I never experienced this since the beginning and would like to test this, if I already own the games.

I would disagree the Ally is better in any aspect...:

- Performance wise the Legion Go is faster in at least 3/4 of the games (if set up properly on Performance TPU and efficiency system with 6 GB VRAM), even at lower wattages if you switch it to 6400 MHz RAM speed in tge BIOS.

- The screen is bigger (8.8 inches compared to 7 inches is a massive difference!) and it's colors are way nicer (even if it doesn't have VRR). I like it offering a higher resolution for older and mid old games, or indies/emulators, as I use it a lot for them.

- The battery works longer at exact the same resolution and settings, as it is bigger.

- As far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong), the ROG ALLY can't go down to 5 watts minimum TPU like the Legion Go, which is awesome for playing older/ indy games as it's battery lasts REALLY long (many hours) that way. Played Dead Cells at 6 watt custom TDP at 1600p for over 3 hours in a row and I still had over 50% of battery, even if not using Headphones, but the internal speakers!

- Detachable controllers (which I don't care abou too much, as sincerely I always play holding the whole thing in my hand, but it is a good option which makes it more versatile, for playing couch coop for example, or when it becoming too heavy to hold)

- FPS mode (shame on me! I still never properly tried it! Just held the controller without the analog stick in my hand, and it didn't feel ergonomic at all, so I just left it out, knowing real mice are just superiour to it...)

---

Of course the ALLY has it's advantages too:

- weight and mobility

- better and more quiet cooling solution

- VRR screen

- apparently still better settings software

---

-> so it is really up to preferences which one you prefer, but saying the ALLY is the king on "every aspect" is just totally esagerated and just not true in any way you turn it.

Children
  • Sorry I don't know were you got "flipped" from. The Adrenaline thing was always between landscape and potrait. That's what I meant with "correct orientation" .