Downsides of Using AMD drivers?

I play a lot of new games and Lenovo's slow rollout of VGA drivers is an issue for that. I was thinking of sideloading AMD drivers directly, but I couldn't figure out the downsides to this approach? What are the optimizations that Lenovo makes on these drivers? Will I see everything in portrait for instance?

Parents
  • I don’t have any downsides. I also get around the lenovo overlay by using MSI afterburner and turning on all the monitoring things I want such as FPS, temperature, clock speed, and wattage.

your games will not be in portrait as windows controls that. There is little to no difference in terms of how games run with the AMD drivers vs Lenovos. You will however always be up to date and be able to run the newest games without graphics driver warnings or crashes.

try it out for a few days, and the worst case scenario is you revert back.

Here’s some videos I made that show how the games run and what MSI afterburner looks like on the screen using 780m drivers from AMD

youtube.com/@cperl79

• I don’t have any downsides. I also get around the lenovo overlay by using MSI afterburner and turning on all the monitoring things I want such as FPS, temperature, clock speed, and wattage.

your games will not be in portrait as windows controls that. There is little to no difference in terms of how games run with the AMD drivers vs Lenovos. You will however always be up to date and be able to run the newest games without graphics driver warnings or crashes.

try it out for a few days, and the worst case scenario is you revert back.

Here’s some videos I made that show how the games run and what MSI afterburner looks like on the screen using 780m drivers from AMD

youtube.com/@cperl79

Children
No Data