AMD Adrenalin driver software not accessible when installing official latest graphics drivers drivers

Hi guys,

unluckily using the official drivers from the Lenovo Legion Go driver page I don't get access to the driver settings, like it happened with an older beta driver already. At that time you could run a file hidden in some folder from the driver package and then everything was fine again... Now I couldn't even find such file...

I tried reinstalling it cleanly after deinstalling the graphics and the chipset drivers and cleaning up the rest a few times with the AMD driver removal tool, and one time even with DDU, but nothing of this helped...

As I installed the latest driver posted in this forum I still had the possibility to access to the AMD Adrenalin driver settings... 

With the one downloaded from the driver page there is no chance though...

-> As I would have preferred not to manually have to make the registry change for activating integer scaling using the one posted in this forum, but to use the meant implementation in the drivers, does anyone have tips on how to fix this?

I even had the newest AMD Ryzen 7840U drivers installed temporarily, even including a HYPR-FX Eco mode, but as only the 1600p resolution was selectable as one of the Legion Go's proper 16:10 resolutions and all the others were distorted it doesn't make sense for me to use it...

Parents
  • You need to uninstall the Adrenalin software from the official Lenovo drivers and install the one in the extracted package of the AMD drivers. There are videos on youtube that show you how to do it.

• I do that but it doesn't always work out that way and that's when I get the incompatible drivers when opening the adrenaline software. If I go into device manager and rollback the driver and re-open windows then recognizes the driver. That's why its weird the way windows works sometimes.

• If you receive that message, you havent removed the old software correctly. I also delete the AMD folder on C. I just did it again trying the AFMF preview driver and it worked correctly. Btw AFMF is game changer but doesnt work on the native display on the Go at the moment, it works perfectly fine using an external display though

• Hmmm? I'll give it a try on the next update. So I go to device manager right click on drivers and remove and the your saying to also remove the ccc folder too and then install? There are also other amd folders in the programs folder and programs 86 folder.
    Regarding the AFMF I heard it does work on the go for certain games but not all. Hopefully with another update it will work a little better. I was trying to find a community group or forum discussion on it but had no luck. I just wanted to keep up to date on it and find out when other updates will be implemented.

• You dont need to uninstall the previous device/driver. But you need to look for the AMD Settings app on Windows and uninstall that. Then delete the AMD folder from C, install the latest or preview drivers and follow the procedure to install the 780M driver. In the end, just look for an exe file called something like ccc in the C:/AMD folder and install that. It should work afterwards without even rebooting.

• But the one thing I don't understand is that if I'm downloading this beta package and it included the adrenaline software and drivers then I shouldn't have to look for the drivers manually and the cc file to install. I should just be able to open the file I downloaded and install the new drivers and adrenaline software without receiving an incompatible message right? Some of the videos I saw are confusing me for some reason.

• The thing is that this package is not made for the Go. Its a generic driver. Lenovo needs to go through each AMD driver release and adjust it to work with the Go. Since this is not done yet ( not strange at all since its still in beta and the driver will officially be released by the end of this month from AMD) we need to do this manually. The installer will still say "oops something went wrong" since its not specifically designed for the device but the device still uses the 7840U GPU so it will work correctly. 

• Ah ok. I got ya now. That makes sense. It just wasn't making sense to me for some reason when  looking at the videos of the steps. Thanks for clarifying that! I have a better understanding now.

• I didn' t try this exact sequence out! Open mouth

Does that also work that way, if I just want to roll back onto an official Lenovo driver for the Legion Go? Or do you know of a way I can get the normal behaviour back of the Adrenalin software being installed automatically with the official drivers? Because that is what I'm really struggling with now, and I really don't want to reinstall the whole system...

•   

That is not fully correct Wink

The Legion Go uses a Ryzen Extreme cpu which is derived by the 7840U cpu, and uses the same graphical architecture 780m.

The Ryzen Extreme is supposed to be better optimized for handheld gaming, and having a slightly better/ lower power consumption, but it also is missing some kind of ai optimized components in it, which the 7840U still has.

So its origin is similiar, but it is still slightly different. Like a twin who has some different characteristics basically.

•   

That is not fully correct Wink

The Legion Go uses a Ryzen Extreme cpu which is derived by the 7840U cpu, and uses the same graphical architecture 780m.

The Ryzen Extreme is supposed to be better optimized for handheld gaming, and having a slightly better/ lower power consumption, but it also is missing some kind of ai optimized components in it, which the 7840U still has.

So its origin is similiar, but it is still slightly different. Like a twin who has some different characteristics basically.

Children
No Data