Oculus Rift on the Legion GO

Hi all, i know how ridiculous this sounds and yes, that is kind of why i wanted to try this out.

I have an Oculus Rift CV1 laying around here and thought, maybe i can get this to work... but i guess to no ones surpise it just didn't.

I hooked it up to a USB C hub, with the HDMI and all the USB connections. The Oculus software correctly found all the USB devices and was happy with that, but it just did not recognise the HDMI of the headset. The hub was also powered.

I tried various configurations, power seperately in the second port, headset and sensors in a separate hub, the hdmi only in a seperate hub.... nothing.

Now could it be that the software just expects it to be in a dedicated GPU and it will just not work with an integrated one at all?

I just saw those cool glasses, like the legion go glasses and thought, maybe something like that works with what i have.

If anyone ha some insights or maybe even solutions that would be cool!

And yes again, i know how ridiculous this is, i just love messing and trying around these kind of things.

• Only a little ridiculous. I have been wondering if I could get my Rift S to work with the Go. I am currently traveling, but will have to give it a go (pun intended) when I am home next.

My goal is connecting the Rift S and an Anker 747 battery pack to my Go for some extended backyard VR sessions.

• Hi  ,

not ridiculous at all, have a look at following, great video I saw before, the Legion Go can actually handle VR with lighter/mid games WinkThumbsup, just not more heavy games:

https://youtu.be/octO-FV5kIs?si=tCvVBxSmMPaxonvc

For your issue, I could only try it with my Quest 2 with the Steam link turned on, connected by cable to try to emulate your situation.

A few important questions around this;

What kind of USB-Hub do you have exactly?

- Is it a USB 2.0 Hub, a USB 3.0 or higher? (Definetly 3.0 or higher needed, otherwise it won't work for shore)

- Is it a USB-A or a USB-C one?

- Is it self powered one with an own AC supply, which needs to be connected? Or just a normal one which takes the electricity out of the Legion Go.

Whith that info I might be able to help you directly, without needing to actually install the Oculus Software onto my Legion Go myself Sweat smile.

• That sounds interesting, i am curious to hear how it turns out for you!

• Hey, thanks for your answer.

I knew it had the power to handle some vr!

I have two USB-C hubs, one cheaper one and one more expensive Anker one. They both have PD passthrough, so can be both i guess.

I tried it with both or the things split across both. I have tried to only connect the headset itself, so just the hdmi and one usb 3. the usb connected fine everytime. Sometimes it got shown in windows as an additional display. But the oculus software refused to accept it. I could also put in both sensors and all three usbs were connected fine.

The charger i used can do 120W so that should be enough, since the hubs can only do up to 100W if i remember right.

• Ok, even if Power Delivery passthrough is supported, still Windows doesn't fully give support for many devices through Hubs properly. If you have an USB-C to USB-A adapter I would try it with that, as the probability of it working stable is way higher then with USB Hubs in Windows. Made this experience with many devices and several hubs in the past and even today with my good one which is even haven an own Power delivery... For exymple my Elgato Stream Deck doesn't like it to be connected over a Hub also my razer Mouse sometimes works, sometimes not over it and I need to plug it in and out again, on the other side other devices like my keyboard always work...
    -> It really can differ highly from device to device...

• Hey thanks for your reply, but i think there is a misunderstanding. All three USB 3 connections get picked up with no problem, the two sensors are fine and the headset usb is also fine. Only the headset hdmi causes problems.

the oculus software doesn’t let me continue because it can’t detect the hdmi connection. Everything else is detected and accepted.

• I had a similar HDMI problem when connecting my Rift S to my Lenovo laptop via a docking station. The USB worked through the dock but the HDMI would not work through the dock. I ended up buying a HDMI to USB-C adapter, connecting the HDMI side to the VR and the USB-C to the laptop. I also connected the VR’s USB connection directly to the laptop and got the VR headset working well in the Facebook Oculus software. I did not try SteamVR on it.

I am going to use this configuration to try and get the Rift S to work on the Go. I won’t be able to test for several days due to family commitments, but will come back and post results.

• Hey that‘s very interesting! Let me know how that turns out!

And also can you tell me what exact adapter you used for this?

I only have a hdmi to usb cable, but that doesn’t help me, as it has a male end.

•   Sincerely what I meant is exactly what  wrote, just using the direct connection cable of the VR Goggles you have (didn't know it would have a Male USB-A end, and a hdmi (mini-hdmi, or normal hdmi?), and I understood you don't have issues in using other devices...;

Directly using a good quality, thick (and making shure it is compatible through a proper online research) cable going from USB-C directly into the HDMI-format you need, to plug the cable into the Headset, is for shure the best way of making shure to get the best quality image, and no interference through the adapter (anything you plug in inbetween the go and the goggles, if hub or adapter, or anything else will increase the risk of it not working properly at the end). Of course such a cable would be more expensive then just using an adapter and if  already used this exact adapter, for a similiar situation, why not trying it out ?Wink.

Anyway a notebook is not exactly the same as the GO, so it could still behave differently (with a lower probability) and just in case for you somehow it shouldn't work, searching for a proper cable, is way more of a safe bet Wink.

• EvryGama, sorry to step on your toes. It was not intentional.