v29.1 Beta BIOS (Addresses TDP)

Hi All,

This is a Beta BIOS (for now) with essentially one minor change over currently official v29: the issue with Space interaction with the TDP setting has been fixed. 

Keep in mind this is still not a "full" implementation of custom TDP, which will come later, but provides a fix to the implementation of the TDP customization that is intended to be implemented currently. 

Again, there are 3 core "controls" needed for full custom TDP implementation: sPPT, fPPT, and TDP.  sPPT and fPPT will be implemented later, TDP is already implemented, and this updated BIOS allows it to once again work as it should, and that is, to provide a baseline guidance to the system for user-desired TDP setting.  The system will operate around that TDP Level but not precisely 100% of the time.

Before you dive into the download, please read the following important information:

Beta BIOS Advisory:

1. Beta Status: This BIOS is in beta, meaning it's still undergoing rigorous testing. It's not a final product and may have bugs or issues that could impact your device's performance.

2. Voluntary Use: Your decision to participate in this beta is entirely voluntary. Downloading and installing this BIOS is at your discretion, understanding the inherent risks of using a product in beta.

3. Warranty Assurance: While we offer this beta BIOS "as-is" and cannot guarantee its functionality or a bug-free experience, please be assured that using it will not void your device's warranty under Lenovo's terms. However, we cannot extend any warranties, expressed or implied, specific to this beta BIOS.

4. Feedback & Support: We value your input! Share your experiences in the designated forum. While we may not be able to respond to each comment individually, our team will monitor the feedback for insights and improvements. Note: Official support for this BIOS is not available, but our service team is ready to assist with general queries.

5. Potential Updates: This beta BIOS is a work in progress. We may issue updates, fixes, or even release a final version in the future. Installing this BIOS does not automatically enroll you in future updates.

6. Opting Out: If you encounter issues or prefer not to use this beta BIOS, you can easily revert to the stable, official version available on our website. Instructions for reverting are provided below*

We thank you for your participation and understanding as we work towards enhancing your experience with Legion Go.

By downloading and installing this BIOS, you acknowledge that you have read, understood, and agree to these terms.

Download Link: /N3CN29WW_5F00_update.zip

Installation instructions: Download the file, unzip with your utility of choice (right click, extract to use the built-in windows extractor), double click the .exe file, and follow on screen instructions.

v29.1 Notes:

Summary of changes
==================
[BIOS]
1.Based on BIOS29
2.Fixes WMI call for TDP setting in BIOS

Notes: 

• After installing the BIOS the screen may be in Portrait mode if you have rotation lock enabled.  If that's the case, disable rotation lock, let it rotate back to landscape, and then re-enable it. 
  • The screen may stay off for a long period of time while the BIOS is updating, please do not power off mid-update.  Power LED will be on while the screen is off and update is still in progress. 
  • Once completed, BIOS should read as N3CN29WW_TDP02, you may need to re-enter the BIOS to re-confirm and re-adjust settings like UMA buffer size/etc. 
  • Please also note for best results controlling TDP to use STAPM ("STAMP") mode as opposed to STT.
  • This file may trigger some false positives on some antivirus software due to the fact that it alters firmware and is new/unsigned.  Again, you are under no obligation to use this BIOS to update your system, it is entirely optional and opt-in.  If you don't feel comfortable doing it, then it is not recommended.

*To revert to an earlier BIOS:

• Enter the BIOS configuration by holding down the Volume Up(+) Button during boot.
  • Select "BIOS Setup" from the Novo Button Menu
  • Select "More Settings" button on the bottom right of the BIOS main screen
  • Select "Configuration" tab from the left Menu
  • Scroll down (finger touch) to "BIOS Back Flash" and ensure that is enabled.
  • Press "Exit" on the left Menu
  • Press "Exit Saving Changes" from the options on the right
  • Press "Yes"
  • Allow system to reboot
  • Download and install the latest officially released version on our support site here: laptops and netbooks :: legion series :: legion go 8apu1contentdetail - Lenovo Support US

Thank you!

• Hey Ben, thanks for the update. Quick question. If I download this bios beta file will I have to download the official bios when it releases and will it be available on the Space app?

• For anyone using Linux this appears to fix a bug preventing the use of both a custom TPD and a custom fan curve at the same time. This may, or may not be worth the use of a Beta BIOS for some, but it's good enough for me!

• based on what   wrote at point number 5

5. Potential Updates: This beta BIOS is a work in progress. We may issue updates, fixes, or even release a final version in the future. Installing this BIOS does not automatically enroll you in future updates.

when you use this BIOS, I think you have to download it on the Lenovo website and install it manually, if you want to update to the Stable version later.
    CMIIW

• I downloaded the beta bios and didn't have sound on my go using the ps remote play app. When I put the previous bios back it started working again. I'll wait till the official ones are released. 

• Hello. Question for those who tested 29.1 bios. I installed it and when I use STP mode custom TDP still doesnt work - for example, I set 13watt as custom TDP, run aida stress test, let TDP stabilize for 3 minutes, and then when I check monitoring utility I see that it shows 23-24watt consumption on APU. Using STAMP mode makes custom TDP work almost perfectly, except one thing I can't set TDP lower then 10watt, even if I set it to 7watt monitoring utility still shows 10watt under aida64 stress test. So anyone who tested 29.1 bios have same behavior or is it just me? Thank You for answers.

EDIT: made some more testing under STAPM mode. For monitoring I used hwinfo64 this time. Noticed following under aida64 stress test (CPU+GPU) when I set TDP values higher then 11watt everything works as it should - apu stapm value slowly grows towards set TDP value then stabilizes and apu stapm limit value shows 100%. If TDP value was set to lower value, for example 8watt, then apu stamp value first dropped to 8watt then slowly growed to 11watt where it stabilized, also should mention that apu stapm limit was 100% when apu stapm value was 8watt, but when it stabilized at 11watt - apu stapm limit showed 135% (behavior is the same for any custom TDP value in range 5-10). Also I should point that Quiet TDP preset also has this problem - it stabilizes at 11watt (apu stapm value) and apu stapm limit value is 135%.

• does the issue occur only when using PS Remote Play App?

Yes, we better wait for the stable version, to minimize issues that might occur.

• Hi  ,

Ben already wrote above, it would be best working with STAPM.

Regarding your other test results;

That sounds already promising! WinkOk handThumbsup 

The last time I tested this with BIOS version 29 with Dead Cells Even if I set the custom TDP to 5 watts it was going up to 14 Watts drawadge by itsself, so it is already a great improvement, and sounds like it behaves as expected, as Ben wrote this is just the first step out of 3 which will be applied, and he also wrote it it is supposed to stay around the value only.

-> I'll also do some tests with it, as I will feel better with different games (currently still ill, and still a bit to weak for it)

• And also with quiet mode it behaved similiarly, just that the difference was way higher then now.

Great you were able to do those tests and to share those results with us! SmileyWinkOk handThumbsup

• Hola buenas tardes ben y y a todos de la comunidad.Os voy a exponer una incidencia que tengo con lenovo legion go a ver si me podeis ayudar os lo agraderceria mucho por que si no la voy a tener que mandar al servicio tecnico.bueno el caso es que el problema que tengo es que cuando estoy jugando con lenovo y entra en 20% o menos,cuando es del 21% para arriba no pasa, solo del 20% para abajo,bueno el caso que nada mas la enchufo con ese nivel de bateria me baja el rendimiento a la mitad o menos(Fps)he probado con diablo IV,alan wake 2,fc 24,cal of duty modern warfare 3 y dragon quest traesure y resulta que en cal of duty modern warfare 3 y dragon ques traesure ese problema no me ocurre al enchufarla

A ver si sabriais decirme cual puede ser el problema.

La verdad que estoy preocupado,en fin 

Un saludos a todos .y muchas gracias por el gran trabajo que haceis.     GRACIAS. 

• Hola Miguel,

Lo siento, mi español es terrible, así que uso algún software de traducción como ayuda. ¿Estás en modo STAPM o modo STT en el BIOS? ¿Y tienes el UMA Buffer configurado en Auto o algo más?

Creo que el BIOS está configurado en STT de forma predeterminada, y STAPM es lo que permitirá que la configuración TDP personalizada se siga de manera más estricta.

Además, el cargador que estás usando es el que viene con el dispositivo o un accesorio de terceros.

Gracias,
    Ben