Battery drain while plugged in

If I am playing an intensive game the battery will slowly discharge. I switched to a 100w charger but the issue still remains. When this happens the plug also gets really hot from trying to charge and power the system at the same time. 

the TDP also is not working correctly and I think this may be the issue. I’ve seen the wattage spike to 40w during gameplay but usually sits at 32w. The built in settings basically do nothing.

any ideas?

Parents
  • This sounds like the BIOS setting that limits the charging speed. You can adjust how fast it charges when the Go is running so you aren't adding a bunch of heat. I have heard some people using the high setting have shut down due to high temps.  I think it is set to low by default. Depending on what the low limit is, that's probably the cause of losing power while charging the device running. Charging is slower than the power draw. I have mine set to medium with no issues at all. No matter what setting it should get warmer than running on just a battery since you are charging and running the device. Both will generate heat. You can keep an eye on your temps to make sure they aren't getting too high with the overlay.

• Hi  ,

the default setting is on high, and I never ever had overheating issues with it, even if I'm mostly playing modern and AAA games on it. But I'm also using an ssd which tends to stay cooler then others. With ssds overheating can happen and is a known issue, but with the APU, I think you would have to really let it run with hardcore benchmarks for a long time to let it overheat...

Medium sounds like a good compromize to me too though, as slow is REALLY too SLOW in my opinion.

• Hi  ,

the default setting is on high, and I never ever had overheating issues with it, even if I'm mostly playing modern and AAA games on it. But I'm also using an ssd which tends to stay cooler then others. With ssds overheating can happen and is a known issue, but with the APU, I think you would have to really let it run with hardcore benchmarks for a long time to let it overheat...

Medium sounds like a good compromize to me too though, as slow is REALLY too SLOW in my opinion.

Children
  • Yeah, I think I changed that setting the day I got it. I thought I remembered it being on low, but I bought it open-box, so perhaps the previous person changed it. True, for those having the overheating issue, they may have other things adding to the heat generation.