Battery drain while plugged in

If I am playing an intensive game the battery will slowly discharge. I switched to a 100w charger but the issue still remains. When this happens the plug also gets really hot from trying to charge and power the system at the same time. 

the TDP also is not working correctly and I think this may be the issue. I’ve seen the wattage spike to 40w during gameplay but usually sits at 32w. The built in settings basically do nothing.

any ideas?

Parents
  • Alright I have another update that will not make sense. The SD card it’s like lava and it will burn your finger and the spot all around the slot if also hot to the touch. I removed the SD card and minutes later that spot all around the slot is no longer hot. 

the card is not faulty. I used it for months on the steam deck without issues and it’s not a fake card. It’s a Sandisk ultra 400gb. 

i don’t think the unit is faulty as it plays games perfectly without issue. I can honest go without the sd card as it’s slow as hell anyways and takes forever to download a game on to it.

so right now I have the system plugged directly into the 100w charger with Kena playing in a spot that is beating up the Go at a constant 32w and 2k ghz on the GPU. It’s been at 99% for the last 20min so it’s hard to say if this is solving the issue. 

HOWEVER the cable is not longer hot. It’s barely warm now. So now I going to have to mess around when the new cable comes if the hub is the culprit or the 60w cable.

• Sorry if I'm asking, but why don't you try to use the SD card for less heavy games, and the internal SSD for more heavy ones?

I would totally recommend this for loading times and performance. (For some games it can have a higher impact in performance, like the modern ones developed for PS5 (Kena for shore being one of them), or with the SSD as a requirement like Forspoken and Alan Wake 2 [own difficult game to run on the GO], for other games I've seen Videos with which the difference can also be way lower like only between 2 to 5 fps. Loading times are almost always strongly affected though and can also make a bigger difference for only middle heavy games.

For the rest Sandisk Ultra should be fine being UHS-I speedwise, just looked it up, and only could find the 512 GB model on the (Western Digital page - Western Digital bought SanDisk), which is the one coming the closest to it and it having up to 150 MB/s reading speed, it should be enough for not that read heavy games.

-> No wonders it is getting hot with Kena, it must be trying to read as fast as it can and pushing it really hard... Of course it is not easy to know, if you didn't dig into exactly this storage behaviour charesteristic of modern games/SSD loading behaviour especially.

-> For Kena I would definetly recommend to play it on the internal SSD drive.

• Sorry if I'm asking, but why don't you try to use the SD card for less heavy games, and the internal SSD for more heavy ones?

I would totally recommend this for loading times and performance. (For some games it can have a higher impact in performance, like the modern ones developed for PS5 (Kena for shore being one of them), or with the SSD as a requirement like Forspoken and Alan Wake 2 [own difficult game to run on the GO], for other games I've seen Videos with which the difference can also be way lower like only between 2 to 5 fps. Loading times are almost always strongly affected though and can also make a bigger difference for only middle heavy games.

For the rest Sandisk Ultra should be fine being UHS-I speedwise, just looked it up, and only could find the 512 GB model on the (Western Digital page - Western Digital bought SanDisk), which is the one coming the closest to it and it having up to 150 MB/s reading speed, it should be enough for not that read heavy games.

-> No wonders it is getting hot with Kena, it must be trying to read as fast as it can and pushing it really hard... Of course it is not easy to know, if you didn't dig into exactly this storage behaviour charesteristic of modern games/SSD loading behaviour especially.

-> For Kena I would definetly recommend to play it on the internal SSD drive.

Children
No Data