Battery drain while plugged in

If I am playing an intensive game the battery will slowly discharge. I switched to a 100w charger but the issue still remains. When this happens the plug also gets really hot from trying to charge and power the system at the same time. 

the TDP also is not working correctly and I think this may be the issue. I’ve seen the wattage spike to 40w during gameplay but usually sits at 32w. The built in settings basically do nothing.

any ideas?

Parents
  • I feel like an electrical engineer. New 100w cable and same thing, it loses battery plugged into the hub.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0CJXZQ935?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

it says it has a 100w pass through so I’m not sure what the issue could possibly be. If I directly plug it into the GO without the hub, using the new cable, it charges while playing. I’ve been using this hub for months on the steam deck without issue tho it’s used much less power to charge it.

not sure what else to try. I like using the hub for its Ethernet and I was going to add an external SSD like I have for the steam deck. Wont be able to do that if it won’t charge it. 

• I just tried a different hub with 100w pass through and it didn’t charge the Go at all. I’m not sure where the issue lies here with the Go not wanting to charge from hubs.

• Hi Invasion, I'm sorry to hear that, and I already thought it would depend on the chosen hubs themselves... I also understand plugging in the USB-C cable directly in to recharge, and at the same time plugging in the hub for everything else is only really practical when holding the Go up manually (and it being very heavy not a constant option), and not really handy/comfortable when having the Go on the lap, or belly, or even the table because the plug below is constantly getting tension, which is not good nor for the cable, nor for the connector itsself, and is at the same time annoying in my experience... Otherwise that would have been my recommendation like before... (Thought it through better and it probably isn't a real option)

-

As sorry as I am, you really can't compare the Steam Deck and the Legion Go, technically being two completely different devices, with complete different alimentation and especially power draw and recharging systems...

-

-> I also had similiar experiences with a higher power draw from the Go when having a normal hub connected, and this unluckily is normal behaviour in the most cases.

-> There have been people who have figured it out though before apparently, having an alimentation/power delivery without power draw, using certain hubs and certain rechargers/power banks in combination in this forum, as I recall. Have a try to search through the forum with keywords for it WinkThumbsup. If I recall right it has been around 2-3 months old, or even closer to the beginning of the Legion Go release.

-

->>> otherwise if you want to make shore there is no power draw through the hub even if it might be a bit annoying, because of you needing to plug in two power plugs into the wall;

->>>> I would recommend you to buy a hub with it's own alimentation/power plug, as in that way you can make quite shore, (if you buy a good and reliable one, possibly from a known brand and with the features you require) everything will just work fine without any issues.

• Hi Invasion, I'm sorry to hear that, and I already thought it would depend on the chosen hubs themselves... I also understand plugging in the USB-C cable directly in to recharge, and at the same time plugging in the hub for everything else is only really practical when holding the Go up manually (and it being very heavy not a constant option), and not really handy/comfortable when having the Go on the lap, or belly, or even the table because the plug below is constantly getting tension, which is not good nor for the cable, nor for the connector itsself, and is at the same time annoying in my experience... Otherwise that would have been my recommendation like before... (Thought it through better and it probably isn't a real option)

-

As sorry as I am, you really can't compare the Steam Deck and the Legion Go, technically being two completely different devices, with complete different alimentation and especially power draw and recharging systems...

-

-> I also had similiar experiences with a higher power draw from the Go when having a normal hub connected, and this unluckily is normal behaviour in the most cases.

-> There have been people who have figured it out though before apparently, having an alimentation/power delivery without power draw, using certain hubs and certain rechargers/power banks in combination in this forum, as I recall. Have a try to search through the forum with keywords for it WinkThumbsup. If I recall right it has been around 2-3 months old, or even closer to the beginning of the Legion Go release.

-

->>> otherwise if you want to make shore there is no power draw through the hub even if it might be a bit annoying, because of you needing to plug in two power plugs into the wall;

->>>> I would recommend you to buy a hub with it's own alimentation/power plug, as in that way you can make quite shore, (if you buy a good and reliable one, possibly from a known brand and with the features you require) everything will just work fine without any issues.

Children
  • Thanks for the help. I think I’m just going to wait on using the hub and use it for a while on direct charge to make sure it’s working as intended. I’d rather find out now there is an issue so I can exchange it rather than wait and have to send it to Lenovo.

even if I try to use the hub without power it will only work for about 30 seconds and then power off. There is definitely something wonky going on with either the unit or the way it interacts with hubs.

im not investing any more money into this as it already cost 800.00 for the Go plus another 60.00 for another charger and cable.

• I am not sure if this is what EvryGama was talking about, if so, I apologize in advance. Could you hook up one power source to the hub (dock), then the hub to one of the Go's USB-C ports. Next, hook up another power source to the second USB-C port on the Go. I am not sure if it could work this way, maybe work a try.

• Farfetched idea, but maybe if you change the UEFI (BIOS) setting for USB compatibility to the option that allows for maximum compatibility it might have an impact on the power interaction with the hub. Yes, a long shot.

• I would rather not have 2 cables running when the Go should by default work with USB hubs. That’s something that should work day 1.

I also tried enabling the extended setting for USB drives but that didn’t change anything as expected.

•  
    Ok, I understand you are disappointed with the situation... And you don't wanna spend more for now, as you just really spent enough.

If you will change your mind in the future (when the current hole into the wallet just caused won't be feeling so heavy anymore Wink) just know that there is an option that works for shore;
    -> Hubs with own power supply (meaning one power supply for the Go during recharge + one for the Hub)

And one that works probably, saying probably because I can't confirm it, according to what others here wrote, if you are willing to dive deeper into this forum;
    -> By choosing the right combination of USB-Hub and 100 Watt recharger (and right cables, with enough capacity which you have in the meanwhile) that is supposed to work within this forum, you just need to search for it.