Need help, I’m old and a noob

Hi all. I travel a lot for work and you can only watch so much TV in the evening. Bought a Go today to stave off the boredom. I download the OG Call of Duty from Steam but it seems unplayable without a keyboard and mouse. Am I missing something to make it work with the joysticks? I played COD on my PC when it first came out and sure would enjoy a trip down memory lane if it will work. 

Thanks. 

•  Hi  Wink,

Have a look at this other thread out of this forum, it might be able to help you. If not, try to "at" the users who wrote within it, so that they can recognize your comment/question. They might be able to help you further.

•   

If he has trouble figuring out what "try to 'at' the users" means, can he just press the "Any" key, instead? :-)

In case it isn't clear, here are some examples:

@EvryGama
    @M0rn1n6St4r

Just type the user's ID, after the prefix "@".

•   

Hahaha, that is a good one! RoflSweat smileYumThumbsupThumbsup 

An especially useful key if a prompt comes up on your computer once again asking you; "please press any key to continue" Stuck out tongue winking eyeThumbsup

•   

Have you or haven't you heard those tech-support stories?  I can't tell.

They used to be common in chain-emails and in newsgroups, back in the early 1990s.  Here are some examples:

• Customer calls tech-support — complaining that he keeps getting stuck.  Tech-support guides the customer to the point when "Press any key to continue" appears on the screen.  The frustrated customer says, "See!  This is where I always get stuck!  I can't find the 'Any' key!  I think they sold me the wrong keyboard!"
    •  Customer calls tech-support — complaining that she cannot find her files.  After tech-support fails to guide her to the location of her floppy drive, he asks her to send him a copy of the diskette by mail.  A few days later, tech-support opens an envelope from the customer.  It contains a photocopy of the diskette.

•  Customer calls tech-support — complaining that the cup-holder on his computer has broken.  Confused, tech-support informs the customer, "Our computers are not equipped with cup-holders, sir."  The customer tells her, "Yes they are.  But, mine doesn't close when I press the button, anymore."

They were funnier 30 years ago. lol

Bonus:

Ever read the one about the 135-lb bricklayer?

•   

Hahaha, that was slightly before my time and Ibcouldn't speak English at that time yet at all Sweat smileYum 

The 2nd and especially the 3rd are really good! Wasn't even aware a small cup (or should I say glass) would be fitting into the CD-ROM drive at all! RoflOk handThumbsupThumbsup

• And no, I haven't heard about the one with the bricklayer... (Also don't know what that word actually means... A layer of bricks? Sweat smileOpen mouthOpen mouthOpen mouth

• I have encountered the same issue when trying to play Battlefield 3. A controller works but not 100%. I can use the action key, but I came to one spot where it says to press it and only a keyboard press would work. Since the game is through Steam I would check out the community layouts for the game there may be a better controller layout that uses keyboard buttons.

• Have you tested enablling "steam imput" ?
    It seems exactly the same interface as I has on the SD, and it enables the emulation of mouse and keyboards to a gamepad.

I don't have any games that do not support gamepad (so I've note tested) but I thinkk it should work, in fact, sometimes once enabled, you could potentially find a profile that someone else already created.

•   

Friend... you may think you're old in our merry group of the Lenovo gaming community, but I have to say, unless you are in your mid 60s or 70s, after reading this post  Tell Us How Old You Are, Without Telling Us How Old You Are! [GAME] , I would venture a guess the majority of members are 45 - 60. And you are only as old as you feel!

Like you I'm no where near as good with a gamepad compared to a mouse and keyboard when playing an FPS. Have you tried gyroaim (gyro scope controls)? It's the next best thing to a mouse and keyboard!

On a device like the Legion Go, gyro aim is fantastic! 

As of now (March 1, 2024), gyro does not work correctly using Legion Space and hasn't since the Legion Go launched. But, there are workarounds as you can see if you watched the videos above.

For me, I decided to install my favorite OS, Linux (dual boot) as gyro (and other functions) work perfectly under Linux with Bazzite (Steam Deck Edition) due to its emulation of the Playstation 5's Dual Sense controller for input controller actions. You don't need to go to the extreme I employed. Handheld Companion as detailed in the above videos or using Motion Assistant, software originally intended to be used on GPD Win devices https://www.reddit.com/r/LegionGo/comments/187vjfi/how_to_turn_on_the_gyroscope/ as well as Steam input https://youtu.be/iGHpetQb1BM?si=xx1IWS2X4TiO_Eyt&t=362 can work great under Windows 10/11. You don't need to employ all 3 while under Windows. It's an either or decision. For ease I'd use Motion Controller. For functionality I'd use Handheld Companion, and for seamless integration I would use Steam in Big Picture mode to configure the gyro controls.

Editing the deadzones in Legion Space can help for FPS games or waiting until you have access to a flat surface thus allowing you to play in FPS mode is immensely helpful to we purist FPS gamers.

I truly hope you find what works best for you.

• And no, I haven't heard about the one with the bricklayer... (Also don't know what that word actually means... A layer of bricks?

Ohhhh... strap yourself in, sonny-Jim!  Mother-of-god... here it comes.

This is a bricklayer's accident report that was printed in the newsletter of the English equivalent of the Workers' Compensation Board.
    Dear Sir:

I am writing in response to your request for additional information in Block #3 of the accident reporting form. I put "Poor Planning" as the cause of my accident. You asked for a fuller explanation, and I trust the following details will be sufficient.

I am a bricklayer by trade. On the day of the accident, I was working alone on the roof of a new six-story building. When I completed my work, I found I had some bricks left over which when weighed later were found to weigh 240 lbs.

Rather than carry the bricks down by hand, I decided to lower them in a barrel by using a pulley which was attached to the side of the building at the sixth floor.
    Securing the rope at ground level, I went up to the roof, swung the barrel out and loaded the bricks into it. Then I went down and untied the rope, holding it tightly to insure a slow descent of the 240 lbs of bricks. You will note on the accident reporting form that my weight is 135 lbs.

Due to my surprise at being jerked off the ground so suddenly, I lost my presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope. Needless to say, I proceeded at a rapid rate up the side of the building.
    In the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel which was now proceeding downward at an equally impressive speed. This explains the fractured skull, minor abrasions and the broken collarbone, as listed in Section 3, accident reporting form.

Slowed only slightly, I continued my rapid ascent, not stopping until the fingers of my right hand were two knuckles deep into the pulley which I mentioned in Paragraph 2 of this correspondence. Fortunately, by this time, I had regained my presence of mind and was able to hold tightly to the rope, in spite of the excruciating pain I was now beginning to experience.
    At approximately the same time, however, the barrel of bricks hit the ground, and the bottom fell out of the barrel. Now devoid of the weight of the bricks, the barrel weighed approximately 50 lbs. I refer you again to my weight.

As you might imagine, I began a rapid descent down the side of the building. In the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel coming up. This accounts for the two fractured ankles, broken tooth and severe lacerations of my legs and lower body.
    Here my luck began to change slightly. The encounter with the barrel seemed to slow me enough to lessen my injuries when I fell into the pile of bricks and fortunately only three vertebrae were cracked.

I am sorry to report, however, as I lay there on the pile of bricks, in pain, unable to move and watching the empty barrel six stories above me, I again lost my composure and presence of mind and let go of the rope.