Are Laptop Coolers Actually Worth It?

Hi everyone!

Does laptop coolers actually work, and are they worth their price? Or am I just better off with four erasers supporting the bottom of laptop to increase air flow(when using external keyboard and mouse)?

Thanks!

• Depends, if your laptop runs a little warmer than you’d like out of the box not due to any malfunction or dirt, then sure it can be worth it to tame the temperatures, particularly if you are thermal throttling performance (though you should of course check if your temps are normal behavior if it’s new). If you’re running hot later in the laptops life, it’s better to try to address that first before going the cooler route. The issue is, most laptop cooling pads of course introduce more air flow which brings in more dust to the laptop, resulting in more required cleaning. But there are some coolers, like the Llano gaming laptop cooler for instance, that seal around the bottom of the laptop and filter out dust from the intake, which just requires an occasional dust filter clean for the cooling pad and potentially eliminates the need to clean the inside of your laptop. I’d say coolers like that one would be a full benefit if you can comfortably afford them. 

• I believe they do a small amount of help, since they are not internal, and you will have the plastic casing of the laptop in between, but if you are gaming or Video editing, every single help will go a long way.

• The risers with fans are. Just getting up off the table makes a big difference and for only $30 or so

• If a maker of a good laptop provided good cooling in the first place, external coolers shouldn't be needed.

• Depends on your use and laptop location really.

• WHILE I HAVEN'T USED A LAPTOP COOLER, I CAN TELL YOU FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE THAT UNDER MOST CIRCUMSTANCES IT SHOULDN'T BE NEEDED.  IF YOU KEEP THE AREA  AROUND THE LAPTOP CLEAR, IT WILL BE WELL VENTILATED AND THERE USUALLLY WON'T BE ANY ISSUES.

• Yes I think so, even if it's a small decrease in temps,  it always helps to increase the longevity of your laptop.

• I use a basic one with fans but the biggest thing is it elevates the laptop to let it breathe. I have heard the ones from IETS on Amazon work amazingly well. 

• Raising the laptop and having continuous & cool airflow around work the best, a laptop cooler work by attempting to create the 2 conditions mentioned

• I think the wide gamut of answers kind of sums up your question. "It depends." Specific use, laptop model, laptop age, laptop condition etc. So many variables come into play that you probably just have to decide this one yourself based on YOUR specific situation. Try one, see if it really works. If not return it.