HOW DO YOU WISH TO UPGRADE YOUR LAPTOP / PC THIS HOLIDAY?

More RAM, more internal storage, external HDD / SSD, external or portable monitor, USB / Thunderbolt hub for connecting more peripherals, gaming mouse, etc?

Parents
  • I recently upgraded the RAM in my gaming laptop. Having done this is one reason I am wary of soldered RAM. There does seem to be some performance benefits to the soldered RAM, though. I was surprised how quickly I filled a 512GB SSD. I am spoiled at the speed of the SSD, but was also a bit spoiled in the HDD era when laptops routinely came with a 1TB HDD. Two M2 slots is also on my list for my next laptop.

My work/occasional gaming desktop is dual boot Linux/Windows. I used my two M2 slots for a 2TB Linux and 1TB Windows partition. Now wishing I had gone with a 2TB Windows partition, as that is where I game (Linux is where I work).

• I recently upgraded the RAM in my gaming laptop. Having done this is one reason I am wary of soldered RAM. There does seem to be some performance benefits to the soldered RAM, though. I was surprised how quickly I filled a 512GB SSD. I am spoiled at the speed of the SSD, but was also a bit spoiled in the HDD era when laptops routinely came with a 1TB HDD. Two M2 slots is also on my list for my next laptop.

My work/occasional gaming desktop is dual boot Linux/Windows. I used my two M2 slots for a 2TB Linux and 1TB Windows partition. Now wishing I had gone with a 2TB Windows partition, as that is where I game (Linux is where I work).

Children
  • You have me curious, jts_stl. I'm trying to wean myself off of Windows for a second time - I don't like the recent infusion of AI tech into Windows... for privacy / security reasons. Back in 2019, I tried using openSUSE Tumbleweed as my primary OS for six months, but the office / productivity tools just weren't up to par. The current versions of LibreOffice and Thunderbird are vast improvements - I actually switched over to using them in place of MS Office on Windows this year. I'm dabbling with a few alternative OS's at the moment. Can you mention what flavor of Linux you're using and if you like it?

For others reading this, external HDD / SSD storage, even flash drives in some cases, are great additions for testing and using alternative operating systems like Linux with your computer.