A Trekkie's Lament

Hello all,

For many years, I have been hunting for a first-person spaceship simulator that allows you to both travel the galaxy AND walk around on board a moving spacecraft. Star Trek TNG gives me the itch and the franchise titles are pretty dated and/or not player friendly.

Steam has been flooded with low-effort examples for years now. And sure, there are many excellent space titles that approximate this (e.g. Mass Effect), but alas no cigar.

In the last Autumn Sale, I managed to get a discount copy of Empyrion which does a great job with survival and exploration mechanics. It helps that the game looks absolutely magical at times. To my disappointment, however, I learned pretty late that you cannot walk around while your ship is in motion. (The physics of vehicles in general are pretty gross, too.)

Will I ever live out my spacefarer fantasies? Or is trek a lost cause?

Parents
  • There are a few games that might be what you are looking for. No Man's Sky and Star Citizen are both great candidates and decent games. You could also check out games like Galaxy Outlaws or Elite Dangerous but those are mainly focused on space interactions and less so actual planet exploration. The Mass Effect games have some elements of what you are looking for but exploration is limited to a small set of star systems but as a huge sci-fi fan they have a lot to offer if you are into space sagas.

• There are a few games that might be what you are looking for. No Man's Sky and Star Citizen are both great candidates and decent games. You could also check out games like Galaxy Outlaws or Elite Dangerous but those are mainly focused on space interactions and less so actual planet exploration. The Mass Effect games have some elements of what you are looking for but exploration is limited to a small set of star systems but as a huge sci-fi fan they have a lot to offer if you are into space sagas.

Children
  • Yes, I recall that No Man's Sky was revamped since it released so I will definitely check it out the next time it's on sale. Thanks everyone!