Desktop or Laptop? How to choose a new device.

What are your thoughts on the age old question: "Should I get a desktop or a laptop"?

Each group has it's own benefits and drawbacks. I have included my thoughts below on the pros of each to hopefully help you make the right decision for your circumstances. 

Laptop:

Portability - If you plan to be super mobile, than a laptop is a clear choice. Taking it to classes, a friends house, or just finding different cozy locations at home. If portability is key for you then go with a laptop. 

Workload - If you are doing a light workload or don't plan on multitasking, than a laptop can be a good option as well. By utilizing a docking station, it is also possible to have a home base with a multi display setup when needed. 

Desktop:

Cost - As a general rule of thumb, if a desktop and laptop have the same specs, the desktop will be cheaper. Desktops (especially home built ones) also typically come with longer warranty periods on the individual items. Some items can even extend out to 10 years. Finally, desktops can be upgraded easier than laptops. Down the line if you want a new GPU, then the swap out CAN be simple. You just have to keep upgrades in mine when building to future proof your desktop. 

Customization - When building a desktop, nearly everything can be customized. From the case size/shape, to individual components, to having everything RGB. Desktops offer an almost choice paralyzing amount of options when going with a new build. Don't fret though, there are many sites and services to help you be able to built your own unique setup. 

Durability - It has been my experience that desktops tend to last longer. Being stationary certainly helps with any of the accidental drops that a laptop may experience, but even the little things like increased air flow help extend longevity here. I also am a firm believer that the excess space helps because laptop parts often make sacrifices to reduce size and allow for mobility. 

While there are certainly exceptions to every rule, the above are just my thoughts on the subject. If you are in the market for a new device and haven't made your decision on which route to proceed down, then i hope this helps you out! I am also interested in what thoughts and comments other will have. Please leave them below!

• Jeff showing his expertise here. Thanks for the write-up!

• I'll only have a laptop when I win it in a giveaway LUL

• Yeah same lol really hoping for that 7i in December

• Many well constructed points. I use similar comparisons when choosing devices on the go. When I first started with a computer purchase I went with laptop all the way specifically because of things like Portability and the ability to be used as a Workstation. Mostly the portability though. I got my desktop shortly after I got my laptop with better specs for school based design work. 

The desktop has officially outlasted the laptop, but that was expected, and more to the point I pretty much upgraded everything short of the motherboard on the desktop. Which is why its lifetime is so important. 

But I can see a laptop being preferable to those who don't spend time at home a lot, or who have school/university (like myself.) or even those who don't have the space to have a desktop (living in a trailer or RV for example.) 

I don't see either choice as superior to the other, but I know there are camps that claim either one or the other works best...

• I'm sure we'll be able to do a few systems come December... No promises but there's a good chance

• For me personally it's about mobility. That's why I like the cubes that we used to make the c730s and the c530s. I was in a big fan of them at first but I've come to like their design and their compact spacing. 

personally I think the next generation of Legion laptops that we're about to roll out are going to be really really amazing. I want to be able to share so much with you guys but we're just going to have to wait.

• There are some caveats to this. When building a desktop CPU its important to get the right Motherboard/Chipset to pair with a CPU. Intel CPUs are historically only compatible with chipsets for around 2 generations of CPU. I don't have much knowledge of AMD, but I believe AMD sockets are compatible with more than two CPU generations.

• I got my first gaming laptop after a few months of working at Lenovo, Legion 7i.  I love it, but honestly as great as our desktops are, I still love building computers for myself and my friends. There is just nothing like picking out your parts and physically building a computer from scratch.  Technically I've been working on the same computer since 1991.  None of the original parts are in my current desktop - obviously.  

• I just see Gaming Laptops as portable consoles TBH. Sure they can do alot more but its more efficient than this which I use to carry around. 

• Bro I was so jealous of kids who had these setups in their cars growing up