Nintendo's Latest... Victim?

If you've been paying attention to gaming industry news the past couple of days you've probably heard about Nintendo's latest foray into the legal system, this time with the developers of Yuzu. I believe we all know Nintendo fiercely protects it's IP, crushing remakes of popular titles and squashing modifications of their popular titles.

What I find most interesting of this latest lawsuit is that at least for now they appear to not be intent on going after the developers of Ryujinx unless they are planning a filing a separate lawsuit against them. Furthermore, it is interesting developers of older emulators have somehow escaped their ire in the past. Least of all when Valve was going to release Dolphin via Steam. Somehow the developers of Dolphin, as far as I know have escaped tangling with Nintendo.

Many gaming industry professionals and others with legal expertise speculate it was The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom that caused Yuzu to be on Nintendo's radar for obvious reasons. Transparently speaking I was a bit surprised Nintendo didn't "come for" Yuzu and Ryujinx sooner. Don't take that statement as being pro Nintendo nor the entirety of this post to be pro Yuzu developers. My personal thought is that this is an interesting topic to discuss and an interesting current event about another developer Nintendo is... "coming for".

But, what are your thoughts? And mods... feel free to delete this post if it is to controversial at present or in the future. There will be no hard feelings, I'm simply engaging in the betterment of the Lenovo gaming community.

Engage in the poll below, (click 'Vote' which will enable you to... vote) and leave some thoughts and comments afterwards.

Parents
  • Nintendo can fight it but this is going to keep happening

•   emulation is definitely here to stay. Pandora's box has already been opened in that regard to the landmark case about the software most have forgotten... Bleem! https://www.eurogamer.net/the-history-of-bleem 

While the company that created Bleem! won their battle against Sony... ultimately they lost because the company lost an exorbitant amount of money in legal fees resulting in a company closure. I fear the Yuzu developers will suffer the same fate. If they fight... they'll likely win the battle, but lose the war.

•   emulation is definitely here to stay. Pandora's box has already been opened in that regard to the landmark case about the software most have forgotten... Bleem! https://www.eurogamer.net/the-history-of-bleem 

While the company that created Bleem! won their battle against Sony... ultimately they lost because the company lost an exorbitant amount of money in legal fees resulting in a company closure. I fear the Yuzu developers will suffer the same fate. If they fight... they'll likely win the battle, but lose the war.

Children
No Data