What game made you love gaming?

Replies
    views
    Community Manager
    Hello Legion Gamers!

This past weekend @Saka shared a thread about a GOG giveaway and an interesting concept of the We Love Games Sale. And that gave me an idea for this thread.

As February the month of Love draws to an end, I thought that it would be interesting to talk about one more kind of love that most of us share and can relate to: love for games.

I think many gamers may have the game that made them like gaming, that set them on the path to exploring the digital world and making friends online (and, eventually, making their way here 😉).

For some, it may have been the first game they ever played, for others, it could be a different one, but maybe most gamers can name that "first crush game".

Personally, I first started playing games on a PC that my aunt had back in the early 90s. She was working as a programmer at the time and had that sort of hardware back when it was not widespread and available as it is now. There I played such games as The Lost Vikings or the classic Prince of Persia, among others. Quite old games by modern standards.

But I only visited my aunt occasionally, so gaming was something me and my brother could do for a couple of hours when we came to visit, and it was some time yet before we got a PC at home. Then, the first game that I ever played was Sea Legends, a very old one by now:

That became the favorite game of my brother and he occasionally plays it even now. But it did not manage to work its magic on me. I only became very interested in gaming in 1997 when I got my hands on The Curse of Monkey Island:

Some may have noticed that about me, but I do respond better to the comedy element in entertainment. And this was one of the gems of the golden age of Lucas Arts games and set me on a journey to Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, and then Little Big Adventure, and many others. And a couple of decades later, here I am.

On a side note, I did not know English all that well when I was playing The Curse of Monkey Island, so the game had an "unofficial translation" which was even voiced, but it was horrible to the point of being meme-worthy. And that was a strong stimulus for me to learn English so I could play the games in their original language and never again suffer such linguistic frivolities.

And that is the story of my first "game crush".
    What about you, got any games to reminisce about?
  • 21 Replies

Level 32
    Medal of Honor Allied Assault Multiplayer

fifa 2007

rappelz

max payne 3

You're never wrong to do the right thing
    Community Manager
    @gohan I really should play Max Payne 3, you are the second person who tells me that it's a good game.
    Level 28
    prince of persia java mobiles game 😂
    Community Manager
    @gohan and @Hammad23, what is so good about Max Payne, does it have a good story or is it a gameplay thing?
    Level 19
    I loved gaming since I was little, but the franchise that made me a gamer, was the Batman Arkham Trilogy, Peak Gaming, and Storytelling plus an insane amount of detail, and the best superhero game made to date.
    If you call me a Ho, Be sure to put kage after it.
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch I fell in love with gaming thanks to two little gems released when I was a teen and I still remember playing Police Quest and Space Quest on my old 286 desktops.

Name:  police-quest-in-pursuit-of-the-death-angel-screenshot.png
Views: 61
Size:  4.9 KB

Name:  space quest.jpg
Size:  27.1 KB

Name:  yhdhnRDYUvHZrox7vHPFML.jpg
Size:  90.3 KB

After I got hooked on playing these games and finishing them so many times the new range of 486 processors was released and I was able to enjoy Doom, Quake and Age of Empires

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  24.7 KB

Name:  -1635684745170.jpg
Size:  33.0 KB

Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  71.9 KB

Then from there on many other games hooked me and I have many favourites. Too many to mention.
    Level 52
    @gohan O-M-G !! The Max Payne Series is a masterpiece and the 3rd is just mind-blowing, the best one IMHO
    Tag me to be sure I see the answer and reply to you / Taguez moi pour être sûr que je vois la réponse et vous réponde en retour
    Most of my writings in no particular order (mostly in French) / La plupart de mes écrits sans ordre particulier
    >> HERE/ ICI <<

Level 52
    I think for me it was the Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King game from 2003. Not the first I played, but this one was actually kicking my wee butt and inspired me to improve my skills as a gamer. I would go through trial and error and eventually beat the missions.

Unamused Snarktooth. Advocate for hearing loss & accessibility. Person, friend and a terrible/terrific* artist.
    *delete as appropriate