What's in your arsenal? and why?

Replies
    views
    Level 12
    I know that gamers are a very "determined" bunch of folks - admittedly I am one of those as well - and quite often there are very personal and/or specific reasons for what tools we adopt.

At the moment my arsenal looks as follows:

• Lenovo Legion T530
      • RTX 2060, i7-9700 and 64Gb ram
      • Updated CPU cooler to a Noctua NH-L9x65
      • Updated case fans to Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM

• Lenovo ThinkPad P51 Signature Edition
      • i7-7700HQ, 32Gb ram
      • Docked with a ThinkVision 24" monitor

• Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 2
      • 16Gb ram, GTX 1650

• Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 1
    • Lenovo ThinkPad P50
      • 64Gb Ram, Xeon cpu

These are my daily drivers, both for work, fun, travel and entertainment...

For work then the P51, P50, X1Y and X1X are does it for me with regards to what i do for a living... the X1Y is my perfect mobile information worker tool that's brilliant for using when i'm also doing public presentations.

The Legion T530 is a combined work horse and fun-time gaming setup - it's neither ground breaking, nor top of the line, but I prefer to find a sweet spot for what I invest in. So, the T530 hit that easily.

So, that's my current list (got more but they're not daily drivers).. what's yours?
  • 26 Replies

Level 31
    My current PC setup and accessories:

• Lenovo Legion T530-28APR
      • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
      • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • RAM: 16GB

• Lenovo Legion Y27q-20 27" -Gaming Monitor
    • Lenovo Legion K300 RBG -Gaming Keyboard
    • Lenovo Legion M300 RBG -Gaming Mouse
    • Lenovo Legion H300 Stereo Gaming Headset
    • Lenovo Legion Gaming XL Cloth Mousepad
    • Logitech Z207 Wireless Stereo Speakers

I have kinda wishes to buy Lenovo Legion's phone as we received really nice discount by just joining out here. I am a bit disappointed for T530-28APR only 350W power supply which I feel is completely too low and so on my PC has actually crashed and restarted itself three times in just 2 months due it. I have bought 36 months Premium Care Support from Lenovo, but anyhow they were not ready to replace more stronger power supply in my tower. 🤨

But other way around, very happy with this current setup.
    Last edited by Liue; 17-03-21 at 10:41. Reason: Misspelled, fixed those
    Level 12
    I have kinda wishes to buy Lenovo Legion's phone as we received really nice discount by just joining out here. I am a bit disappointed for T530-28APR only 350W power supply which I feel is completely too low and so on my PC has actually crashed and restarted itself three times in just 2 months due it. I have bought 36 months Premium Care Support from Lenovo, but anyhow they were not ready to replace more stronger power supply in my tower. 🤨

But other way around, very happy with this current setup.

Power supplies are at a premium right now, but i can highly recommend getting hold of a better PSU..

I also replaced the fans in my system as they were very, very loud and didn't seem to do much.. Lastly, i added 64Gb to it instead of the 16Gb it came with.. haven't had an issue with it at all. It's super stable and the PWM fans i installed are cooling the system perfectly.

anyways, if you can gather some coin together, then replace the PSU yourself.. it's easy to do and can extend the lifespan of your PC tremendously
    Level 31
    Power supplies are at a premium right now, but i can highly recommend getting hold of a better PSU..

I also replaced the fans in my system as they were very, very loud and didn't seem to do much.. Lastly, i added 64Gb to it instead of the 16Gb it came with.. haven't had an issue with it at all. It's super stable and the PWM fans i installed are cooling the system perfectly.

anyways, if you can gather some coin together, then replace the PSU yourself.. it's easy to do and can extend the lifespan of your PC tremendously

Those upgrade for your Legion tower really sound good. Could you possibly suggest some Power Supply Unit which could keep the PC as stable as possible? What comes for RAM, I was thinking of adding 16GB more (I believe 32GB is more than enough for hardcore gaming), but first I really need the Power Supply.
    Last edited by Liue; 17-03-21 at 20:18.
    Level 31
    By the way, what do you mean by this:

Do you mean Premium Care On-site Support warranty? If you do, I have bought that for 36 months.
    Level 12
    Hi Liue,

yes, 32gb is definitely more than enough for gaming these days. I had 64gb installed as i also use this for work.

with regards to a PSU, then Corsair RM Series RM750 is a good solid performer and it's 80 Plus Gold certified as well.

it's not too costly either.
    Level 31
    Hi Liue,

yes, 32gb is definitely more than enough for gaming these days. I had 64gb installed as i also use this for work.

with regards to a PSU, then Corsair RM Series RM750 is a good solid performer and it's 80 Plus Gold certified as well.

it's not too costly either.

Hello there. 😄

Thank you for help! I really appreciate it.

Are we allowed to change parts which are not sent by Lenovo? I am not sure if Corsair is supported? I checked: My warranty and it only shows couple of PSU's with brand I do not recognize.
    Level 12
    Hello there. 😄
    Are we allowed to change parts which are not sent by Lenovo? I am not sure if Corsair is supported? I checked: My warranty and it only shows couple of PSU's with brand I do not recognize.

so here's my take on this.. first and foremost.. Lenovo should fix this asap.. 350w PSU is far too small for any PC these days, especially a gaming rig..

secondly, you have nothing to lose right now - either you get the PSU fixed or you get it fixed. There really isn't any other options for you. If you want to, message me the PSU brands that are covered and i'll happily help you find one that's suitable.
    Level 12
    By the way, what do you mean by this:

Do you mean Premium Care On-site Support warranty? If you do, I have bought that for 36 months.

ah, no.. sorry, i meant they come at a premium cost. Due to the mining boom, the two typical components that are hard to get are GPUs and PSUs.. because, well, both are used heavily in crypto-mining rigs
    Level 31
    so here's my take on this.. first and foremost.. Lenovo should fix this asap.. 350w PSU is far too small for any PC these days, especially a gaming rig..

secondly, you have nothing to lose right now - either you get the PSU fixed or you get it fixed. There really isn't any other options for you. If you want to, message me the PSU brands that are covered and i'll happily help you find one that's suitable.

Morning!

I think so too, they definitely should - but they won't, their Premium Care Support has made it very clear.

This is what they said (translation from Finnish):

I have looked a little more about your situation.
    Since your device appears to be otherwise operational, and this sudden shutdown seems to be specifically related to gaming, which usually requires a lot from the device, we can’t go from switching the device’s power supply to a more efficient under warranty. This is as there is no actual technical fault.
    If you need a more efficient power supply for your device, you can purchase one at your own expense.

I find it weird as I do have Lenovo Legion tower + all the accessories, and Legion is indeed a gaming brand of Lenovo, so. It is a gaming rig, like you said - and actually, my friends from IT industry said exactly the same. None of PC rigs nowadays uses as low as 350W PSU.